New Product: Hayward OmniPL HLBPLUS4W and HLBPRO4SW

Sounds like The Omni-PL is Haywards answer to the Pentair IntelliCenter.

Hayward UI and apps have always been confusing and difficult to use. Hopefully they got some good UI designers and gave it a good overhaul.

Update: No official price or availability yet; Hayward says perhaps a few weeks.

I wasn't sure what was different but they clarified that regardless it is a 4-relay / 6 capacity system instead of 4/10 like the omni logic so perhaps it ends up being cheaper but no one can promise.

PolyTec is great, by the way, very helpful and insightful, and has me considering the switch to Pentair....

I'm actually very interested in purchasing this, so hopefully I can get my hands on it soon.

Some backstory on my reasons why

I have a pool system that was installed in May of 2011 that consists of a mechanical pump timer, SWG panel and breaker box. I'm controlling a Hayward single speed pump, Hayward heater and three pool lights.

My biggest issue has been automation (running the pump on a schedule, turning the heater and lights on/off remotely). I've attempted this all through Z-Wave but found it to be too unreliable for all aspects of pool control, plus I've wanted a system that also has water temperature abilities, something that the ZWave world has yet to figure out.

At the end of last Summer I researched and purchased an Omnihub system to fix many of these issues, but I never got around to installing it before the pool was closed for the season. I liked the idea of the system, seemed like a nice way to kind of retrofit your existing stuff into a newer world but it still left a bit of a messy electrical board to me, but I would have made it work.

But now with my pool just being opened, I went back on the Hayward site and see the OmniPL is now a thing which seems to be everything I'm looking for, all in one box! Breaker box, SWG, HV/LV relays, all in one. So I'll be selling my new in box Omnihub system.

I got the installation instructions PDF from Hayward support and I will be attempting to get a quote and purchase in the next few weeks so I will keep you all posted on my progress.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm contacting Polytec in LV and also going to contact my local pool company who is an authorized Hayward dealer to get a quote and hopefully a purchase. Tricky part with my local dealer is wanting to just use them to purchase a part, as they generally also want to do the install and make some money.

We'll see how much progress I make this week

I have one on order with my installer. I know some suppliers do have them and others are still waiting for theirs. I’m doing pretty much a full overhaul on my system this year with new super pump vs, Colorlogic 320s, and probably a new heater. I’m going with the SWG model with the PL.

I have one on order with my installer. I know some suppliers do have them and others are still waiting for theirs. I’m doing pretty much a full overhaul on my system this year with new super pump vs, Colorlogic 320s, and probably a new heater. I’m going with the SWG model with the PL.
Very nice, let us know how it goes

I contacted Hayward support for the OmniPL manual to check out more details on the system (they don't have it publicly available on their website yet for some reason). if anyone is interested in getting the PDF, message me and I will get it to you

One other thing I need to find out from their support is compatible salt cells. I already have a Hayward T-Cell-15 model that I have been using, but the manual and their site only list two models
T-CELL-940 for pools up to 40,000 gallons
T-CELL-925 for pools up to 25,000 gallons

I'll report back what Hayward support says on this. I'd rather not also need to buy a whole new salt cell in my upgrade project if I already have a perfectly good working one.

I contacted Hayward support for the OmniPL manual to check out more details on the system (they don't have it publicly available on their website yet for some reason). if anyone is interested in getting the PDF, message me and I will get it to you
They have the manuals online now: OmniPL Smart Pool and Spa Control | Hayward Pool Products

Page 2 gives an overview of what it has, and page 3 lists all of the features.

An interesting note when I read it. No screen on the unit itself. The touchpad screen "OmniPL Controller" has wifi built into it. This is the network point for it. I believe the protocol back to the controller itself is RS485, but if you want to hardwire the unit via RJ45 Ethernet it also goes to the touchpad. So to bypass wifi and use the touchpad indoors you need to run wiring for Ethernet and RS485 to wherever you want to mount it.

A side note I am trying to figure out if OmniDirect (Works with OmniPL) will control each light individually without separate relays. As I read it in direct mode each light always remains powered(even if the light itself is not on), has its own address, and can be configured as you want. I will have 4 lights, and want to run different configurations depending on what is happening. Say when not swimming only turn on one accent light in the pool, but another time have it synced back up with say the spa light. Anyone know if this is correct?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.