New Pool would like advice on test result numbers.

j-dubb

Gold Supporter
Feb 2, 2018
Jenks, Ok
I have been reading these forums for awhile now and have been trying to soak up as much information as possible, but I would love the advice of expereinced pool owners. I'm using a TF-100 test kit and just used it for the first time. The pool was finished in December and the pool company has been mainting it and just recently turned it over to me. Its been pretty cold and rainy for weeks now, so I'm not sure if and how that effects these results. The water looks ok, but it's been cloudy here. The Pool builder has the filter running from 7am-5pm everyday and the pool cleaner running 7am-11:30am everyday. They have the Chlorinator set to 20%, but its not running due to low temperature. Hopefully I provided enough information with my results. Just wanting to know if my numbers are ok or if there is something I should be concerned about or something I need to add. Thank you for your time!

PH-7.8
FC-2ppm
CC-3ppm
TA-80
CH-150ppm I did this test, but wasn't sure if I needed to? The color was never really red it was more of a pink?
CYA-65
Temp of water-41 F
Temp of Air-44 F
CSI- -0.58

Your CL target should be 8-10 with a CYA of 70 when your SWG is not running. CL target with SWG running should be 5. See FC/CYA chart

Your CC of 3 is troubling. Up your FC and see if the CC comes down with some sunny days. If not you may need to do your first SLAM Process

Up your CH around 250. That will raise your CSI towards 0 and is what a plaster pool needs. Cold water temps also reduce CSI. It will rise as the summer comes.

You are doing well. Just some fine tuning.

What brand liquid chlorine are you using? I hope not Clorox.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

You are also running your pump a lot of hours for this time of year. As your SWCG is off, reduce it to just the number of hours your cleaner needs to run. Add your liquid chlorine and/or acid during the time the pump is running.

Welcome to the forum!

You are also running your pump a lot of hours for this time of year. As your SWCG is off, reduce it to just the number of hours your cleaner needs to run. Add your liquid chlorine and/or acid during the time the pump is running.
Ok I adjusted my Pump to only run when the cleaner is set to run. Thanks!

Your CL target should be 8-10 with a CYA of 70 when your SWG is not running. CL target with SWG running should be 5. See FC/CYA chart

Your CC of 3 is troubling. Up your FC and see if the CC comes down with some sunny days. If not you may need to do your first SLAM Process

Up your CH around 250. That will raise your CSI towards 0 and is what a plaster pool needs. Cold water temps also reduce CSI. It will rise as the summer comes.

You are doing well. Just some fine tuning.

What brand liquid chlorine are you using? I hope not Clorox.

The Pool company never said anything to me about Liquid Chlorine which doesn't suprise me! lol So I havent been adding any. Time to research what I should be using and how much! Thanks!

Wait, so if you have your SWG RUNNING and your CYA is 70 then you aim for 5 FC based off CYA/FC chart but if it is off due to Cold Water it needs to be 8 because it’s not running? Is that right? Even in the winter. That doesn’t make sense to me.

Wait, so if you have your SWG RUNNING and your CYA is 70 then you aim for 5 FC based off CYA/FC chart but if it is off due to Cold Water it needs to be 8 because it’s not running? Is that right? Even in the winter. That doesn’t make sense to me.

Correct. Once your SWG is off you treat it like a non-SWG pool. The water does not know or care that there is a powered off SWG nearby.

Your SWG generates CL slowly over many hours. It is best to run your SWG during the day so as you lose CL due to UV burnoff it is immediately replaced by your SWG. That keeps your FC at a very constant level durng the day.

With your SWG off and you adding CL manually every day or two then your CL reserve needs to be higher to account for UV burning off for a day or two or three. If you checked your FC every hour and added liquid chlorine as needed you could target a SWG like CL level but that is not practicable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.