New Pool with 2 waterfalls and bubbler question

GreenTerrorPool

Jan 4, 2017
PALM BEACH GARDENS, FL
Hello all, this is my first post. I hope I have included all the relative info in my signature.
My question is this, I am not getting enough pressure to run the 2 waterfalls and bubbler unless I have my pump on about 3000 rpm. My contractor said that if lower it just doesnt have enough. Does this seem right...i think i may have a faulty waterfall system as well as it never truly matches up to one another.

My other quesion is it bad to run pump at 3000 alot since this is pretty fast.

thank you all! This forum rocks!:cool:

Seems high to me. I only have one waterfall but I can get it going with the bubbler at about 1200 rpm. But water is diverted by the valve actuators from the returns to the water features. When you have the waterfalls on is water coming out of the returns as well? I would contact the builder about getting the waterfalls balanced while you might still have a warranty claim. And then figure out if water is going to all of your returns as well when the WF is running (And do you want that). If so that rpm may well be needed, unless you can get the builder to change the valve setup. I would not run my pump that high myself but more because of the electric than anything. But I am sure it will accelerate wear on it.

GTP,

Welcome to TFP... A Great pool resource... :lovetfp:

Aw.. the stuff they never tell you until after you have bought the pool... :D

Two 48" shear descents need a pretty good amount of water and if you are also returning some of the water to the pool returns, 3,000 RPM does not sound all the bad to me.

Let's hope we can get one of our pump experts to chime in here...

Another thing they don't tell you up front is that operating your water features, for any extended period of time, will drive your pH level through the roof. So if you combine new pool plaster, with a SWCG, with running your water features, then I suggest you buy stock in a Muriatic Acid factory.. :p

Please let us know how things are controlled. Are the sheer docents controlled by one or two valves? Are they Jandy valves? Is the bubbler on its own valve?

A couple of pictures of your equipment pad and the water falls would be great!!

Thanks for posting and welcome again to TFP,

Jim R.

Wow. your guys are awesome...great thoughts. Let me post some pics of the equipment setup and also the pipe runs underground. To answer yes the returns are working at the same time i belive. The bubbler is controlled with the main return line.
I need to check if returns are working as same time as waterfalls but i belive so. I can dial down them main return line valve to get more coming out of the falls.
Thanks again for all the help you guys rock!

How high are the waterfalls and what is the filter pressure at 3000 RPM?

If there is any significant lift in the waterfalls, unless you close off the other returns, most of the water will likely bypass the waterfalls. The less water you have going out the returns, the lower the RPM you should be able to run at. This why waterfall pumps are used to separate the plumbing systems. Have you thought about actuating the return valve so when you use the bubblers and waterfall, it shuts off the main return?

With that valve, you should be able to shut off the return without shutting off the bubbler. The handle will be pointed away from the return line. If there is a valve stop, you can change the location of the stop.

GTP,

What I would do as a test, is to turn the valve that controls both the Bubbler and Returns completely off by turning the valve handle so that it points toward the word "Return" on your pipe. This will allow you to pump water through just the waterfalls. I'd set the waterfall valves so that they are both full open.

Then you can play with the pump speed and see what speed makes the waterfalls look the best, and adjust the valves so that the two waterfall match.

Next, turn the Return valve handle so that it points away from the word "Return", as Mark suggested above, and you can then see what effect the bubbler has on your waterfalls.

This would allow you to determine just what speed you need for each of the items to work the best.

I do suggest that most of time you keep the bubbler and waterfalls off and just have the water going to your normal pool returns.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.