New pool test results

Comnrailpwr

Jun 19, 2020
Ohio
Attached is a picture of today's test and chemical addition.. I added 1 gallon muratic acid to help control pH. My TS and CSI is high. Hoping this helps. This is all new to me and have been reading and adjusting. So far pool math has helped tremendously. Do you all think I am on the right path? Trying to figure out my SWG settings. This far I have never shocked or added any chlorine at all. Pool has been filled for.about a week from my well. Does anyone have any pointers for me moving forward? Using tf100 test kit. Also my SWG recomends 3500 minimum but 4-4500 salinity. I do not want to go that high as I can already taste it some. Do you guys think this hurts anything other than the performance of the swg? It's way oversized as is so I'm not too concerned with it not keeping up. Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200731-194116.jpg
    Screenshot_20200731-194116.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 20
If you read above 70 on the cya test then u have 80ppm cya so your fc target is 6ppm.
4ppm is the min. FC/CYA Levels
So I would add liquid chlorine now to get to target.
Keep watching that ph & when it gets to 8 again lower it back down to 7.1 as the ta falls the ph rise should stabilize some

If you’re worried something may have grown in the water while you were filling & getting your swg operational you can do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
An oversized cell can sometimes mask the chlorine demand of a nascent algae bloom.
Be sure to turn off the swg for the duration of the test.

Read up on the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Thank you for the advice. At first when my FC was 1 we had extremely slippery walls and floor. And cloudy water. Over the next couple days I cranked the swg and ran the dolphin a bunch now the walls are squeeky so to speak and how they should be. Water is very clear so I think I'm getting there. Will do overnight test this weekend and report back.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Below is my recent test result. Doing an overnight FC loss to make sure I don't have anything in the water. Did have some rain today. Not sure how it affects things I didn't expect pH to still be this high with the addition of acid yesterday. TA did come down some which is good. So far it is the only thing out of range. I expected FC to be a little higher being I added bleach about 24 hrs ago. Still not sure what my pools FC demand is. I did run the swg today at 50 % for 5 hrs and pump low for 8 hrs. Going to continue the swg at 50% for 5 hrs throughout the week to see if I maintain at least 5. My salt content is 600ppm lower than CircuPool recommendation but I don't want to add anymore. Can already taste it some. My cya may not be exactly accurate after reading pool school over again. I'll retest tomorrow. My lighting was not good. I'm thinking it's a little less. It seems I can still see a very faint outline of the dot in the mid 70 range.
-----------------------------------------
Test Results 08-01-2020 @ 08:50 PM
------------------------------------------
Free Chlorine: 5.0
Combined Chlorine: 0.3
pH: 7.6
Total Alkalinity: 340
Calcium Hardness: 150
CYA: 73
Salt: 3400
Temperature: 82°F
CSI: 0.17

Chemical Addition 07-31-2020 @ 09:23 PM
+ 23 FluidOunces of 10% HTH liquid Chlorinator

Last edited:
If your FC is lower than you expect, either something (probably algae) is eating the chlorine, or your generator isn't producing enough (or both). You'll know for sure after the OCLT.

pH calculations for chemical additions are very complex. It's not unusual for them to be incorrect. That's why the recommendation is to add half of what you think you need, and retest to check on progress. That avoids swinging back and forth from overshooting. In your case, you got less of a result than you expected. That's okay, just add more when it needs it. If you fail the OCLT and need to SLAM, you'll be adjusting pH to 7.2 anyway.

When you do the CYA test, fill to the 100 mark, then glance. If you can still see it, fill to the 90 mark and glance, and so on. Your level is the last one where you could see the dot. No need to add dropwise, because if it's anywhere between 70 and 80, it's 80 - always round up.

Reactions: Mdragger88
This morning test are attached along with last night's. I'll keep bringing pH down to 7.0-7.2 and play with SWG settings/runtime. I think I'm in the right track to balanced water.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200802-080147.jpg
    Screenshot_20200802-080147.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 11
Good news on the oclt 👍🏻How did u get a cc of .3?
Let the ph go to 8.0 & then drop it to 7.1 - rinse, repeat- sometimes the big hits can move alk a little better. When ta gets down below 100 the ph rise should stabilize some.
Also when testing ta wipe the tip of the bottle between drops to be sure that’s an accurate #. It may be a little lower than u think.
Until u get the swg dialed in - supplement with liquid chlorine as 4.5 is approaching min. Raise it to target (6ppm) & then see if the swg keeps it there.
U are on your way 😊

Latest results. Last few days pool has been covered when not in use. Pool is also over full now. We had about 2.5" rain in the last 2 days. I assume that is why my cya and salinity lowered. Not going to add salt because water evaporates but do you think I should add some stabilizer to get cya back up?

Can rain add TA to the pool? Still trying to get that to come down. I did the test today as the instructions read. Before I was dividing things in half to save on r009 but was having trouble getting 2.5 drops of the other chemical accurately so my pas numbers may have been incorrect. This TA # should be spot on.

I also lowered my SWG run time by 1.5 hrs/day since I am producing too much. One complaint I have with the swg is when it changes polarity every 4 hrs run time it cleans itself and the tiny paper thin scale flakes that were on the plates end up in the pool.

Been a few days since I added acid. Think I'm going to add another gallon and then let ph rise and repeate.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200805-212113.jpg
    Screenshot_20200805-212113.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 4
The CYA of 70 is fine (round up).

The TA is very high. You will get calcium flakes from your SWCG with TA that high. You will either need to work at reducing your TA, or live with the calcium flakes.

Reactions: Comnrailpwr

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.