New Pool Test Results

SpringPool

Silver Supporter
Jun 2, 2017
San Antonio TX
First test in our new pool. I was on a trip and not here for start up. The pump was run for 48 hrs straight starting on Wednesday and is now on for 8 hours a day.

I ran the app but want to make sure to add chemicals in the right order. So far the pool builder I believe has only added 1 gal of acid. There are Chlor tabs in the clorinator but that is getting shut off now that I've taken control. Pools still cloudy.

So how should I start. PB recommended shocking it but it being a new plaster pool I want to do this right.

I have the TF-100 kit

FC - 5
CC - 0
ph - 7.8
TA - 180
CH - 75
CYA - 50 (I think I didn't read this one right)
water temp 90 F
CSI 0.01

Welcome back! :wave: TF-100 ... fantastic. So we know a new pool will eat-up acid as the pH climbs during cure. So watch that closely to keep it from exceeding 7.8. Assuming your CYA is correct, I'd increase the FC right away to about 8-10 for today. Hopefully the cloudiness is residual plaster dust from all the brushing at start-up and not algae. But at that CYA (same as mine) don't let the FC drop any lower. I keep my FC around 7-8. You have a surprisingly low CH. You might want to double-check that one. Perhaps test your fill water from the hose to compare. A non-SWG pool should be a minimum of 250. I suspect your slightly elevated TA and pH are helping to compensate for that low CSI, so if you are comfortable with that and understand how it works on the Poolmath calculator, then you should be fine. For now though, increase the FC and keep it steady in the 7-8 range and you should be fine. Let us know how things go or if you have any questions. Enjoy the weekend. :swim:

After adding acid and chlorine last night. Here are today's numbers.

FC 6
PH 7.6
CYA 50
CH 75
TA 130

shoukd I be concerned about the calcium hardness? Or do I wait a few weeks and test again since its a new pool? It's definately low.

I've got the PH somewhat stable now. 3 days and only a .2 drift. FC has been all over the place. On the 6th it dipped to .5 raised it back to 6.5 and then it dipped to 1.6. Yesterday I raised it to 9. Did the overnight test and it remained at 9 (filter was off all night). The pool is crystal clear. A comment was made I can see the drain from inside today. Tonight its 6.5 but we had a full day of sun. When I brushed this morning there was very little plaster dust visible.

Tonights numbers

FC 6.5
CC .2
PH 7.3
CYA 35 (still nailing this test down but it disappears right in the middle of 40-30)
CH 275
TA 80

I'm going to bring it back to FC of nine after the sun goes down. Should I leave the filter on overnight this time? Do I need to even be concerned yet. The pools week Birthday is tomorrow.

I think I have this under control. Did a full test tonight. Added CYA yesterday. It was over a hundred today and the pool gets full sun. PH stayed the same and FC went down 4ppm.

Tonight's numbers

FC 5.5
PH 7.6
TA 80
CH 250
CYA 50
CSI -.05

now to maintain.

Looks good, congrats!

You may want to bump your target FC up just a little if you are getting to 4 or lower regularly, just an extra precaution to avoid any issues. I have CYA of 40 and raise my FC to 7 every evening and it drops to 4, my minimum is 3, when I know the pool will be used I'll add some bleach either before or after swimming, so that it doesn't end up below 3 by my evening testing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.