New Pool Surface and PH CH

JP68

Jun 25, 2020
Sarasota FL
Hi everyone, I'm new here and have been reading through some great info and thought I'd reach out to see if what I am experiencing is normal. I had my pool resurfaced with a pebble stone finish back in January (about 6 months ago). I had followed the 30 day chemical recommendations to a T from the company that did the finish, they said I would go through a lot of MA as the surface cured and it should slow down as time went on. While it has slowed down I am still adding about a cup to cup and 1/2 a day to keep it around 7.4-7.6, usually it will rise to 7.8-8.0 (.4) in 24hrs. The CH had climbed quite a bit as well since the resurface(tap water 145ppm CH) and before I did a couple of partial drain and fills it was about 550 last month according to my Taylor K-2006 kit, pool store said it was 625, and last week my kit had it at 425 after the drain/refill, but they also said my TA was 110 when the Taylor kit measures at 70, only measurement that matched the Taylor Kit was the PH, heck with the pool store!

So using the pool calculator I am trying to keep the following parameters which keep me in a good CSI range (CH- 420, TA 70-80, CYA 35-40, PH- 7.4-7.6, H20 Temp 85-88, hot FL Summer right now!). I know that I'll have to add Chlorine daily, but before my pool got resurfaced I hardly had to touch the MA, maybe a cup a week if that, is this because it is still curing and when can I expect it to stabilize? I've been told about a year but I am not sure I trust the experts anymore, my pool looks amazing, no scale, crystal clear and following the TFP guidelines for the most part, I just want to keep it that way.

I also want to bring the CH down some more but I think if we have a rainy summer I will have plenty of fresh water to mix in and drain which will should lower it (with weekly doses of Jack's Magic Magenta I have kept metals or any stains from appearing so far) I have read that Borates might help with PH, but maybe I should wait until it is fully cured? I am looking pretty hard at Stenner pumps right now as I'll have to clone myself if I ever want to leave for a vacation!

Thanks for any help guys!

That sounds normal. There have been many threads here complaining of high acid demand for like a year.

For vacationing, be happy your CYA is low. Trichlor pucks add CYA and are very acidic. So you can add FC, raise CYA, and keep pH under control while you're gone. It's a pity you can't chlorinate with pucks all the time, isn't it?

That sounds normal. There have been many threads here complaining of high acid demand for like a year.

For vacationing, be happy your CYA is low. Trichlor pucks add CYA and are very acidic. So you can add FC, raise CYA, and keep pH under control while you're gone. It's a pity you can't chlorinate with pucks all the time, isn't it?
Thanks Richard, I just wanted to confirm with my new "pool family" that the PH and CH rising was normal during the curing process. And yes it would be great if they had a puck that didn't mess with the CYA, thus finding this site googling "liquid chlorine injection", so I am reading all the Stenner threads as we speak;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.