New pool startup

dw9000

Aug 17, 2014
NW Ohio
I've read numerous articles, used the poolcalculator, read the pool school articles,, maybe its information overload, maybe I'm just slow.

I have a 27,000 gal pool. The liner is suppose to be installed this week, they will be filling with aprox 13,000 just to get the liner in.

So once I get the pool filled, I want to run my pump/filter for a little while, maybe 4 hrs?
Take a water sample, I bought the TP100 water sample kit

From there, the FC will surely be ZERO. According to the poolcalculator, it says to add 84 ounces of 12% bleach, that isn't even a gal?
What did I do wrong?

I just want some very basic instructions on getting the pool started, from there I can use the water sample kit to test the water.

Once your water is in. You will need to know your CYA level to know what FC to target. Fill water won't have CYA, so you will have to add stablizer to bring your CYA level up to a recommended level. Initially before CYA is present you can target 3 ppm of FC. Then once CYA is in you can target the recommended level for the CYA you targeted and test CYA 1 week after adding.

Ok, thanks so 3 ppm ,, am I using the pool calculator correctly when entering my pool size 27k gals,, enter 0 in NOW and 3 in TARGET, it calculates I add 84 oz of 12% (which is what I have). So fill the pool, throw in 84 oz of 12% chlorine, take a sample and determine CYA?

That doesn't sound like much chlorine, but that is what I'll go with.

For now 3 is good. Once your CYA level is up then you will use more, because your target will be based on the recommended level for you CYA level. You don't show a SWG so I would target 40 when you add the stablizer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.