New Pool/SPA Construction And SPA keep draining into pool when running.. Need Help

newbiepoolguy1975

Feb 17, 2020
nashville tennessee
I need help, I am having a new fiberglass pool/spa installed and the SPA is 18" above the pool. We are using a VS Hayward 2.7 HP Pump to run the system, the pump is set to 2700 RPM's currently or speed setting (3) and the installers have installed all the check valves and piping as seen below. On the left of the picture are the valves for the drains coming into the pump and on the right are the spa and pool return. The installers installed the check valves below the cutoff valves which is a major issue and hopefully reinstalled above the cutoff valves so we do not have to drain the fiberglass pool which would void the warranty to repair the check valves. We are going to run automation to the system but prior to getting that setup we need to fix the issue with the spa draining while the pool is in pool/spa mode to clean both bodies of water. While the system is running the spa is draining into the pool. I have been adjusting the pool return valve to try to keep both bodies of water balanced but I feel that both bodies of water should be balanced without adjusting any of the cutoff valves. I think that all the check valves installed are restricting flow on the return side. I am a newbie and my installer is loss for words. Can someone please review this post and let me know how this can be corrected? I hope someone can help us with this problem. Thanks.

Pump layout.jpg

Guy1,

You can not run both the pool and the spa at the same time... You have to either be in the pool mode or the spa mode.

There is a valve in front of the pump.. this is the Intake valve. The valve after the SWCG is the Return valve.. Tell us how those two valves are set up when running in the pool mode and then in the spa mode.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Guy1,

You can not run both the pool and the spa at the same time... You have to either be in the pool mode or the spa mode.

There is a valve in front of the pump.. this is the Intake valve. The valve after the SWCG is the Return valve.. Tell us how those two valves are set up when running in the pool mode and then in the spa mode.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hello, I have attached the picture of the spa and pool. I keep the return valve on the right open and the drain valves on the left open when running in both spa/pool mode. In spa mode the return valve is turned right to only return to spa and in the drain valve is turned right to only draw suction from spa. Reverse that for pool only mode, and if I want overflow then I open both drain valves to the left and close the pool return on the right. I feel the 3 check valves are causing the pump to pull from the spa first which is pulling more water from spa than pool. And the one check valve on the spa return is causing pressure on the spa return side. I can almost balance the flow with the main pool return valve (in blue far right) but it is not perfect. My thoughts are if I install check valves on all drain and return lines then it would balance out the pressure. What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• 15919995297827227999127328609613.jpg
    15919995297827227999127328609613.jpg
    609.2 KB · Views: 7
Guy1,

My thought is good luck... :mrgreen:

This is because it will be impossible to balance them for very long.. You will either overflow or go empty over a short period of time.

There are a billion pool and spa combos out there and they all work the same.. Well, all but yours..

They are designed to be run in either the pool mode or the spa mode.. I see that you are adding actuators. You will find that your automation system is designed to switch the valves between the Pool mode and the Spa mode automatically as you select Pool or Spa operation.

As part of the pool mode, you can send a little extra water to the spa causing it to overflow in the pool..

The basic concept is that most of the time you will be in the pool mode and overflowing the spa will keep the water fresh.. When you switch to the spa mode all the water will be sucked for the spa drains, passed through the filter and heater the back to the spa jets as a closed loop so that you can heat the spa.. Obviously, at this point no water will spillover into the pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

What happens if the skimmer basket gets overloaded with leaves? Then it draws more from the spa, maybe more than it's returning. Then you run the pump dry and ruin it. It almost happened to me but I was home and heard the funny noises in time.

Unless you're in the spa and are heating it, shut off the spa drain. Then shut down the flow to the spillover spa to maybe 10% of the total. It'll be enough to keep the spa water fresh. That's what I do.

Reactions: rphpool
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.