New pool question.

Headbanger783

Aug 16, 2020
Pa
Not sure if you’ve heard but chlorine will be scarce this summer.

we are having a FG pool installed this year and even though we will have a SWG how much or what type of chlorine should I have on hand if any?

The pool is a Latham Valencia model roughly around 10k from what I’ve read.

thanks!

IceShadow

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 8, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Liquid chlorine is recommended for times you need to raise up your FC. The SWCG is better at maintaining a FC level than raising it up, so you will probably want to use liquid chlorine when you need to boost it up.

Liquid chlorine does degrade over time, so I would recommend waiting to buy it until it's needed.

DeanP66

Mar 26, 2014
San Jose, CA
The reported shortages are more so for the tablets. There was a big fire at one of the main plants where they make the tablets, but I don't believe that should affect liquid chlorine other than maybe it spiking the price a little bit.

jimbethesda

Gold Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Austin, TX
The reported shortages are more so for the tablets. There was a big fire at one of the main plants where they make the tablets, but I don't believe that should affect liquid chlorine other than maybe it spiking the price a little bit.
Unfortunately, this shortage will likely cascade. Tablets are scarce, then other solid forms, then liquid, then SWCG (which are already impacted by the chip shortage, pool building boom, and the TX winter storm). While just one data point, I went to my local HD today to buy muriatic acid and they didn't have any form of chlorine. Just bleach in the cleaning section. Lucky for us TFPers, we know bleach=chlorine!

Buckle up!

Reactions: sjvele