New Pool Question

Jklburns

Jul 16, 2019
East Texas
I'm a new pool owner and found this site while trying to research how to test my water. I've ordered the T100 kit and went out yesterday to buy the liquid chlorine. I have used the small bucket of trichlor tabs our contractor left after getting the pool started, so I'm hoping that was enough to get my CYA where it needs to be without going over. We'll see when I get my test kit and post my first results! Otherwise, my pH and FC seem to be in the right range using the drip test from my contractor.

One question -- our water came from a well and tests at very low levels of calcium and meager paper tests trips confirm that my CH is less than 50 (I understand the test isn't reliable, just want to be prepared with what to do when I get the proper testing done) -- with a new plaster pool, should I be ready to add calcium when my test kit arrives, or should I add it before then? Anything else I should be aware of with new plaster? In the meantime, I'm just trying to keep my pH and FC in the right levels until I can measure everything else.

Thank you, already, for all of the great info I've read over the past couple of days!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!
Any way you can confirm that low CH? Water test reports for the well, etc? The pool builder did not add calcium and they knew the CH was that low?
You do need to get your CH to 250+ppm soon.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Reactions: Jklburns
Thank you for the response! I have most all of the articles printed out and am making my way through them and highlighting stuff to remember for later!

The only way I have to confirm the low CH is the test strips, which are measuring the calcium at teal (0 - 50 ppm). I can take some water to the pool store tomorrow to confirm with them, but I know my well has extremely low levels of Calcium (from when it was drilled), so that should be fairly accurate. I know for sure the pool guy didn't add calcium, because I took detailed notes on what they added to the pool once it was filled.

I know it's hard to make recommendations until I get my T100 kit and can post the full test results. My main concern is making sure I don't do something this early to damage the new plaster (if that's possible). I'm adding chlorine nightly and acid as needed to keep my pH in the right range (difficult with new plaster with the TA so high according to the strips), but my ability to measure correctly is limited for the time being.

The low CH is making your water very aggressive. You would be best to keep you pH near 8 and the TA high until you get some calcium in this water.

If you know the fill water is low in calcium. Get some calcium chloride now. Add 100 ppm worth. Then test with the kit when you get it.

Ok, these are the test results of the water from the pool store since I don’t have my kit in yet. I’m going to add the rest of the calcium in a couple hours and then more liquid chlorine. Is everything else looking ok until I get my test kit?

==========================================
Backyard
------------------------------------------
Build Type: Plaster
Volume: 14000 gallons
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 1.1 (4 minutes ago)
CC: 1.1 (4 minutes ago)
pH: 7.8 (4 minutes ago)
TA: 128 (4 minutes ago)
CH: 103 (4 minutes ago)
CYA: 30 (4 minutes ago)
TEMPERATURE: 84° (4 minutes ago)
CSI: -0.04 (4 minutes ago)

How does the pool look? Crystal clear where the floor looks right in front of you? Any spots of algae or any trouble? How do you normally chlorinate the pool?

FC is low. If CC is above 1 that’s troublesome, but it’s a pool store test so don’t act on that number. If you have cloudiness or algae I’d add 5ppm of liquid chlorine daily, if not I’d add 4ppm daily until your test kit is in.

did you mean TC of 1.1 ?
Yes, I entered in the pool store stuff wrong. According to their test, the CC is 0 and TC is 1.1. Sorry for the confusion on that! I’m still learning!

How does the pool look? Crystal clear where the floor looks right in front of you? Any spots of algae or any trouble? How do you normally chlorinate the pool?

FC is low. If CC is above 1 that’s troublesome, but it’s a pool store test so don’t act on that number. If you have cloudiness or algae I’d add 5ppm of liquid chlorine daily, if not I’d add 4ppm daily until your test kit is in.

The pool looks crystal clear to me :) I’m using only liquid chlorine since I found this site over the weekend (before that we had used about 10 tabs of Trichlor since the pool was filled a few weeks ago). Only trouble spot is a little bit of white buildup on the grout under the waterfall, but no sign of anything in the pool itself that I can see. Thank you so much for the response! I’ll do the 4ppm/day until my test kit gets here!

Reactions: IceShadow
You are already doing a good job! Ordering that good test kit will pay off big time for you! Keep doing what you are doing until the test kit gets there.

Have you been brushing the pool daily? If not please do so. That will help get the plaster dust up so the filter can catch it.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You are already doing a good job! Ordering that good test kit will pay off big time for you! Keep doing what you are doing until the test kit gets there.

Have you been brushing the pool daily? If not please do so. That will help get the plaster dust up so the filter can catch it.

Thank you! And yes, we are definitely brushing! Have a good little routine going :)

Reactions: kimkats
My kit arrived today! I felt like a little kid with a Christmas gift getting to open it up and perform all the tests!

Backyard
Build Type: Plaster
Volume: 14000 gallons
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 3.0 (21 minutes ago)
CC: 0.5 (21 minutes ago)
pH: 7.6 (21 minutes ago)
TA: 130 (21 minutes ago)
CH: 225 (21 minutes ago)
CYA: 20 (21 minutes ago)
TEMPERATURE: 87° (21 minutes ago)
CSI: 0.14 (21 minutes ago)

I’m pretty tickled by it all, and pleased I only have (I think) a few tweaks to make on the chemistry side. And then I need to figure out all of my equipment settings and how long everything should be running. I’ll take any advice or tips anyone has time to share!

Great job on the test results.

For your climate, I would suggest adding 20 ppm CYA. Then follow the FC/CYA Levels for 40 ppm CYA. Test the CYA 48 hours after the granules are fully dissolved.

No more CH is needed.

Well done!! It will only get easier and faster as you go along and get the hand of each test!

How long to run stuff-this is where a good journal will come in handy. Keeping track of the weather is very handy when doing this. After a while you will start to see a pattern of what works for YOUR pool. Of course the different seasons will have different needs.........hotter=more FC use, cold=almost no FC use.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.