New pool project

MACraig21

Mar 30, 2021
Massachusetts
Hello, In the past we had a few of the Intex easy set pools. They each lasted about 3 years, and that's with storing them every winter. We recently purchased an Intex Ultra XTR - 20' round x 48" deep. I've been checking out the site and would like to do some things to the pool to make it better.
Order of importance..
Pre-spray rust inhibitor inside the metal poles and connectors
Salt water generator ( had Krystal Clear on a previous pool and loved it )
Hayward in wall skimmer
Hard PVC plumbing
DIY solar heat collector with a bypass valve
Possibly some type of fountain or waterfall feature
Larger more powerful pump if necessary - factory supplied pump is a 2,100 gph sand filter unit

Does anyone have experience leaving one of these up year round in a cold northern climate?
My main concern is having to take it down sfter doing the hayward mod. I don't want the liner to be compromised.
thanks in advance for any responses

Teald024

TFP Guide
Hello and Welcome to TFP!!
There are a lot of members who live in the north / cold areas and leave their pool up all year round. I think it’s better for the liner to leave it up. The liners tend to get pin holes at the corner folds while in storage.
There are also plenty of members with a Hayward skimmer and hard pipe installs on the Intex pools. Use the Search feature at the top of the page and read through the threads.
For the solar, look into the pre-made panels. They’ll be much more effective than a full DIY type. For solar, it is all about surface area. The small dome types aren’t worth the money. Invest in a solar blanket as well to reduce evaporative cooling.

Reactions: MACraig21

jseyfert3

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
TFP Guide
Oct 20, 2017
Southern WI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a 26' Intex Ultra XTR. Our first pool, put up in June of last year. Left it up all winter with no issues. Here it was in January:
full

And last week after I reconnected the pump and filter, refilled, and cleaned:
full

All I did was drain a few inches below the lowest hole, remove all hoses (I left the skimmer attached with no hose), and took my pump and filter inside for the winter.

Pre-spray rust inhibitor inside the metal poles and connectors
Well that certainly won't hurt anything, the Ultra XTR series supports are factory coated on the inside of the tubes, unlike previous Intex pool supports, so it may no longer be necessary to DIY. I did not spray my posts at all since they were pre-coated on the inside, but I can't give you longevity information yet since it just went up in June of 2020.

Hayward in wall skimmer
Totally need to do this. Makes such a huge difference in keeping the pool clean. I did a no-drain install cause I retrofitted, but if you put it in while filling it would make it easier as you can avoid cutting the butterfly gasket. Be sure to fill the pool until just a couple inches below the skimmer install point first though, never install a skimmer on an unfilled pool.

For the solar, look into the pre-made panels. They’ll be much more effective than a full DIY type. For solar, it is all about surface area. The small dome types aren’t worth the money. Invest in a solar blanket as well to reduce evaporative cooling.
Agree with this. I was looking into building my own DIY solar collectors, big ones, not the little coiled black hose ones. There's simply no way you can get the raw materials to make one cheaper than you can buy one.

Rule of thumb I've read here is you need 50% of the surface area of your pool to make a reasonable difference in water temp with solar. A 20' round pool is 314 square feet so 50% is roughly ten 4'x8' panels, or 8 of those 2'x20' foot panels. In other words, you basically need to live out in the country to have enough ground space for ground mounted panels or you need a south facing roof covered in panels.

The solar cover is a pain in the butt to work with but as stated reduces evaporative losses and makes a huge difference in average pool water temps. Definitely get this before doing any solar, you'll want this even if you don't go solar. If you can stand working with it that is. I gave up on our pool...one of my projects this year is to try and make a solar cover reel big enough for our pool.

Teald024

TFP Guide
The solar cover is a pain in the butt to work with ....... If you can stand working with it that is. I gave up on our pool...one of my projects this year is to try and make a solar cover reel
A reel makes a big difference. Roll on / off is way better then dragging off the ground. I’ve seen some post mounted reels and they seem to work good.

kellyfair

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 29, 2016
Tampa, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
By all means use the rust inhibitor, and after your pool is up, check all metal for scratches and scrapes from the install, and treat those too.