New pool (pool store recommendations)

You need to start increasing the CYA levels. Aim for 50ppms to start with, using the sock method. You can add some Calcium for 50ppm, so you dont get any foaming of the water. TA will come down as you add acid to control Ph.
I have turned the SWG down to 50% and I have the pump set to run 14hrs per day
This will produce 1.9ppms of FC. You will most likely need to run 14hrs@80%(if your cell outputs 0.7lbs per day)

You need to start increasing the CYA levels. Aim for 50ppms to start with, using the sock method. You can add some Calcium for 50ppm, so you dont get any foaming of the water. TA will come down as you add acid to control Ph.

This will produce 1.9ppms of FC. You will most likely need to run 14hrs@80%(if your cell outputs 0.7lbs per day)

So should I shut the SWG off for now until the chlorine levels come down a bit? Or leave it running at a lower percentage? Also can I add the calcium and the CYA at the same time or should I add one and then the other? If so which comes first?

I keep my FC at 7ppm with a cya of 70, just because i have water dogs. keep you SWG running, it will take a few weeks to get dialed in, remember its small changes. You can add CYA now via sock method and for the calcium chloride you can dissolve it in a bucket then pour it in the pool. Its an exothermic reaction witch will make water hot. Are you using PoolMath? In effects of adding you can choose your SWG brand and calculate for 3-4 ppm of FC daily and go from there.

Todays results

FC = 9.6
CC = 0 (didnt turn pink)
Ph = 7.7
TA = 125
CH = 80
CYA = 50

I ended up shutting off the SWG until the chlorine level drops a bit. I leave the solar cover on all day so the sun isn't eating up much of it (or at least I think that's why) TA is a little high too, what's the best practice to lower that? Water looks great, and is crystal clear. I'll also be bringing a sample to the pool store tomorrow to try and get some more free chemicals for my "start up" ? hopefully they give me something I can actually use. Any other recommendations or things that I should be doing daily / avoiding?

To lower you need to add MA to drop ph to 7.2 then aerate to bring ph up. With every addition of MA to lower ph it will bring the TA down. You need to uncover your pool for this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.