New pool in Winter Garden, FL (Central Florida) - Ready to go! Somewhat.

WGpoolnewb

Jun 9, 2020
Central Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Greetings TFP!
Our family is in the process of having a new home built in Winter Garden, FL, and we are starting to plan for a pool build after it's complete. My wife and I are both brand new to the idea of pool ownership, and as such, we have much to learn. Thankfully I found TFP, and the amazing community here. And since we are basically two idiots buying a pool, we can use all the help we can get!

So far in the process, we have met with the community builder's preferred vendor, and have come to the conclusion that we would like to delay the build until the house is complete and we've closed on it. We think the annoyance of the construction will be outweighed by the savings.

Here's what we have so far. This is very similar to the design we worked up with the original builder, but with some tweaks. The hot tub & sun shelf are centered with the back patio, and we've moved the pool to the corner to maximize the potential entertaining space on the deck.
Pool.jpg
What we think we want:
  • A nice large pool. We have two boys that love to swim.
  • A large sun shelf that can hold two lounge chairs side by side.
  • Inground hot tub
  • Saltwater system
  • 99% we prefer a heat pump. The neighborhood does not have gas, so we would need a propane tank, and I believe we would be limited on it's size and placement.
  • Enough deck space for entertaining & furniture
  • Possible water feature of some type (we've seen some pergola-based features I've been toying with).
  • No screened enclosure
What we don't know:
  • Pool depth. Original design was a 3.5'-5' depth. Based on my research here, I'm beginning to think we should consider 4'-6'.
  • Everything else...
At this point, we're planning to contact a few local pool builders for quotes. We've assembled a list of those that look to have positive community reviews. We do plan to also give the original pool builder a fresh opportunity to bid as well.

We appreciate you if you've come this far. As we are very new to this, we would love any feedback, comments, etc., that can help us progress through this project. We don't know much, other than that we don't know much!

I've read over the Construction Best Practices, and I cannot locate the "Scope of Work and Bid price sheet" examples that are referenced. Are these still available somewhere?

Just an FYI... Premier Pools of Central Florida is in Winter Garden, FL. After reviewing 6 bids, we went with them and couldn't be happier. I would at least get an estimate from them for comparison. They gave me an estimate on the same day we met (that evening), were lower cost than the 5 other vendors, and included better equipment. We worked with Garrett Trefcer (our pool designer/estimator) and Hal (our pool supervisor).

They are currently doing a pool for a friend of ours here in The Villages, and work is progressing very well for them.

Well, it's been a while, but we now have 4 quotes in hand. I've attempted to make them as close to equal as possible as we met with designers, to help with comparisons and (hopeful) community feedback. All builders took our design and based their quotes on it. I've attached what I have so far.

None of the builders gave full details like I see on some other posts, so before I circle back around and hammer them for the nitty-gritty, what's the stuff I really need to know? For example, almost across the board, none provided actual model numbers on any pumps, filters, salt cells, etc. Heat pumps they did, for whatever reason. Only one listed quantities of skimmers and returns, others were "as needed" or non-existent. None say anything about steel or gunite thickness. Nothing about piping size, type, etc.

Is the best/right answer to get all the above details? It feels like yes, if I really want to get as close to apples-to-apples as possible.

Thank you all!

Attachments

• PoolQuotesV1.pdf
    93.1 KB · Views: 73
Yes, keep on pestering the builders for details. It is hard to discuss what you are buying without any details. Specific brands and model numbers are needed.

Yes, keep on pestering the builders for details. It is hard to discuss what you are buying without any details. Specific brands and model numbers are needed.
Yea, I realized it was a bit of a silly question. I can’t imagine signing a contract with such a nebulous spec. I suppose what I really should ask is how deep do I need to get, with the plumbing details, etc. Should I be trying to nail down skimmers, returns, etc., right now?

Should I be trying to nail down skimmers, returns, etc., right now?

Yes, otherwise you leave yourself open to change orders and additional costs if you ask for things after you sign a contract. You want to know what exactly they are going to deliver for the contracted price.

Do you wait until after you sign a contract for a new car before you determine how many wheels you are getting?

Hi Neighbor, we're currently building a pool in Winter Garden as well. Hope everything goes well, you can message me if you have any questions or if there is anything I can help with. We're doing an Owner Build, but I talked to a few builders and have been talking to my subs about a few of them.

Hi Neighbor, we're currently building a pool in Winter Garden as well. Hope everything goes well, you can message me if you have any questions or if there is anything I can help with. We're doing an Owner Build, but I talked to a few builders and have been talking to my subs about a few of them.
Thanks! I spotted your build not to long ago, and started reconsidering an OB, but I just don't think I've got the time, energy and patience to devote to it. I'm not terribly clear on the protocols here, so I'll send you a PM of the builders we have bids from.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Question for anyone: Robot pool cleaners do not require any special plumbing, correct? Just electrical? Is it beneficial at all to have a pool cleaner line installed anyway?

We were meeting with a builder today and he mentioned a cleaner line. I said we would get a robot, and he still said either a suction or pressure port was needed. My guess is that he thinks I’m talking about the old style automatic cleaners, not the new electronic robots.

I believe we've settled on a builder now. I don't have a current proposal, but I have an updated spreadsheet with current details. I also have a call with one of the owners scheduled for Monday to get the equipment specifics nailed down. Builder uses Jandy products.

So that I can be as efficient with the call as possible, and not be the cause of further delays, would anyone be able to help guide me with some items?
  • How many returns and skimmers would be ideal in this pool? There seems to be a lot of opinions on this. I expect the builder to propose 1 skimmer and 3 returns.
  • Pump: TBD - I'm not confident I will get a pump spec any time soon.
  • Automation
    • The only specification I have on automation is "iAqualink". I'm intending to get the specific model nailed down Monday. From what I can tell, we should be looking to have the RS-PS8 system board, 6613 Power Center and the iQ20-A device. Am I anywhere near correct?
    • Automated Valve count: Is it (4) total? (2) valves to run the pool & spa, and then another two if I want to run the water bowls and bubbler(s) separately?
  • Filter: I've had other Jandy builders spec the CS200, and this builder has currently only spec'd the filter as a "Jandy CS".
  • Salt: I see Jandy has TruClear and AquaPure. This builder seems to be installing the TruClear line, of which there is only one size? Any benefit between the TruClear and AquaPure lines? From what I can tell, I can integrate the AquaPure cell control into the automation enclosure, and with the TruClear, there's a separate enclosure.
  • Lighting: Currently Jandy WaterColors RGB are spec'd (wattage TBD). I intend to ask about the difference in cost between WaterColors and HydraCool nicheless (knowing more would be needed). Is this a worthwhile thing to consider or not?
Screenshot 2021-04-21 221448.png

Thanks all!

Attachments

• PoolQuotesV3.pdf
    54.2 KB · Views: 33
  • How many returns and skimmers would be ideal in this pool? There seems to be a lot of opinions on this. I expect the builder to propose 1 skimmer and 3 returns.

2 skimmers & 3 returns

• Pump: TBD - I'm not confident I will get a pump spec any time soon.

A Jandy 2.5 to 43 HP VS pump is fine

• Automation
    • The only specification I have on automation is "iAqualink". I'm intending to get the specific model nailed down Monday. From what I can tell, we should be looking to have the RS-PS8 system board, 6613 Power Center and the iQ20-A device. Am I anywhere near correct?

Aqualink is Jandys automation. IQ20 gives you remote control.

• Automated Valve count: Is it (4) total? (2) valves to run the pool & spa, and then another two if I want to run the water bowls and bubbler(s) separately?

Yes.

• Filter: I've had other Jandy builders spec the CS200, and this builder has currently only spec'd the filter as a "Jandy CS".

Get the largest filter your budget will allow. Florida builders like to install small filters that require frequent cleaning.

Largest CS filter is 250.

Get more like a CL460 filter. You will only have to clean it once or twice a year.

• Salt: I see Jandy has TruClear and AquaPure. This builder seems to be installing the TruClear line, of which there is only one size? Any benefit between the TruClear and AquaPure lines? From what I can tell, I can integrate the AquaPure cell control into the automation enclosure, and with the TruClear, there's a separate enclosure.

Get the Aquapure 1400. It has greater capacity then the TruClear and is more robust and reliable.

• Lighting: Currently Jandy WaterColors RGB are spec'd (wattage TBD). I intend to ask about the difference in cost between WaterColors and HydraCool nicheless (knowing more would be needed). Is this a worthwhile thing to consider or not?

Jandy has an excellent LED Lighting Design Guide.

Reactions: WGpoolnewb
Thanks @ajw22, this is helpful!
I read over this, unfortunately it only covers their nicheless lights... I'm leaning towards those, however, after thinking about repair/replacement. I could lose one light and have to replace it, but not lose a substantial amount of light, and individual fixture replacement cost would be lower.

Get more like a CL460 filter. You will only have to clean it once or twice a year.
Thanks. I'll take a look at this. My equipment pad space is a little limited, and as it is, I might either have to move a HVAC condenser or push the heat pump a ways down from the rest of the pad.

The nicheless lights give you more flexibility in the future for different models of lights as lights change.

Reactions: WGpoolnewb
Welp, it looks like I never actually posted my last reply!
A couple of weeks ago I had a good long call with one of the owners of the company, and since then we've also (hopefully) finalized our finishes selections. Contract time should be in the next couple of days. We also changed the water depth to run 4'-6'.

Things I discussed with the PB:
  • Pump - Should be a Jandy VS FloPro 2.7HP.
  • Controller - Currently specified as the Jandy IQ904 package. I'm back and forth on whether or not I really need to take this to the 8 channel system.
  • Lighting - Will be updated to Jandy HydroCool nichless. Using the Jandy guide, it looks like we should use (4) of the 12W RGB lights in the pool, one 6W in the spa. I also want to either uplight the bubbler, or add a light on the sun shelf.
  • Filter - PB is pushing the Jandy CS200. I do suspect they have a large inventory of these. Again, I'm not sure our pad space will really allow for an upgrade to the CL series, once maintenance and electrical clearances are taken into account. For reference, the available area (if we want to keep equipment on the side of the house and mostly out of site) is approximately 6'W x 5'D. And we will have to locate the heat pump slightly away from the main pad.
One thing that did come up on the call that left me a bit confused was in regards to plumbing and control of the water features. I asked about having the ability to control (via automation) the water bowls separately from the bubbler, and the response I got indicated that this was not a common configuration, and would make for some complicated plumbing. It's entirely possible I misunderstood the builder, of course. Is it more common to have the water features be an all-or-nothing configuration? I also understand that if we want to run the spa and water features at the same time, we will need a separate pump. Undecided on this right now.

As always, thanks for any feedback!

Attachments

• IMG_9012.jpg
    IMG_9012.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 23
Hit one small issue with light placement while reviewing the project. The ideal layout, per Jandy's guide, would put 4 lights across the wall with the spa, but this puts one of the lights in the dam wall of the spa. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to tweak the light placement? They should be able to sit just outside the walls for the spa, I'm estimating that would space two of the lights about 11'6" apart (Jandy recommends 8'). And then a third light in the deep end.

Any thoughts on this rough layout?Light Layout.jpg

Thanks!

Alright... construction is underway! Sod has been stripped, dirt has been dug, and steel is in! This has all taken place over the last 11 days, of which I have been out of town 8 of those days! I need to get out there tomorrow morning and check some measurements before I blink and the gunite crew has come and gone! Gratuitous construction pictures follow!
SodStrip.jpeg
Layout1.jpeg
Layout2.jpeg
Steel1.jpeg
Steel2.jpeg
Steel3.jpeg
Steel4.jpeg
Image-1.jpg

who is the PB?
I'm not sure about publicly sharing this. Besides, I'm pretty annoyed with the PB right now. They dumped a ton of dirt on the neighbor's lawn, including a large pile that blocks mower access to their yard, and I'm sure is also covering all of their sprinklers. Daily calls, text messages and emails have resulted in nothing but broken promises.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.