New pool planning in Winter Garden, FL (Central Florida)

darias

Jun 9, 2020
Central Florida
Greetings TFP!
Our family is in the process of having a new home built in Winter Garden, FL, and we are starting to plan for a pool build after it's complete. My wife and I are both brand new to the idea of pool ownership, and as such, we have much to learn. Thankfully I found TFP, and the amazing community here. And since we are basically two idiots buying a pool, we can use all the help we can get!

So far in the process, we have met with the community builder's preferred vendor, and have come to the conclusion that we would like to delay the build until the house is complete and we've closed on it. We think the annoyance of the construction will be outweighed by the savings.

Here's what we have so far. This is very similar to the design we worked up with the original builder, but with some tweaks. The hot tub & sun shelf are centered with the back patio, and we've moved the pool to the corner to maximize the potential entertaining space on the deck.
Pool.jpg
What we think we want:
  • A nice large pool. We have two boys that love to swim.
  • A large sun shelf that can hold two lounge chairs side by side.
  • Inground hot tub
  • Saltwater system
  • 99% we prefer a heat pump. The neighborhood does not have gas, so we would need a propane tank, and I believe we would be limited on it's size and placement.
  • Enough deck space for entertaining & furniture
  • Possible water feature of some type (we've seen some pergola-based features I've been toying with).
  • No screened enclosure
What we don't know:
  • Pool depth. Original design was a 3.5'-5' depth. Based on my research here, I'm beginning to think we should consider 4'-6'.
  • Everything else...
At this point, we're planning to contact a few local pool builders for quotes. We've assembled a list of those that look to have positive community reviews. We do plan to also give the original pool builder a fresh opportunity to bid as well.

We appreciate you if you've come this far. As we are very new to this, we would love any feedback, comments, etc., that can help us progress through this project. We don't know much, other than that we don't know much!

darias

Jun 9, 2020
Central Florida
I've read over the Construction Best Practices, and I cannot locate the "Scope of Work and Bid price sheet" examples that are referenced. Are these still available somewhere?

PoolBrews

Oct 16, 2019
The Villages, Florida
Just an FYI... Premier Pools of Central Florida is in Winter Garden, FL. After reviewing 6 bids, we went with them and couldn't be happier. I would at least get an estimate from them for comparison. They gave me an estimate on the same day we met (that evening), were lower cost than the 5 other vendors, and included better equipment. We worked with Garrett Trefcer (our pool designer/estimator) and Hal (our pool supervisor).

They are currently doing a pool for a friend of ours here in The Villages, and work is progressing very well for them.