New pool owner

dawaves

Aug 18, 2021
Tustin CA
Hello TFP community!
My family and I recently purchased a mid-century home built in 1969 with original in ground pool and spa. I'm completely new to being a pool owner and I did not grow up with a pool myself so my knowledge on anything pool related is very limited in scope. I've been trying to catch up by watching a ton of Youtube videos on pool maintenance and remodeling.

Our pool is on the smaller side, about 90 linear feet and about 8500 gallons with copper piping for supply and returns. It currently has brick coping and the plaster is in super rough shape and is discolored from the copper lines.

The pool is currently drained and not in use as we plan to remodel this pool in the coming months which is probably a dumb thing to do in this current pool industry shortage and higher prices, but we're hoping to get the feedback of the TFP community to help us along. I'm also a general contractor and have good knowledge of electrical and piping work and love to do things myself to save some $ and gain knowledge.

So far, I've been shopping for newer, modern pool equipment on the secondary market and have a new Hayward Tristar VS950, a used Hayward 4820 DE filter, and a used Jandy LX400 gas heater. I also have a Pentair WhisperFlo pump from the original equipment.

We plan on refinishing with some sort of Pebble finish, repiping the lines to PVC, splitting the single main drain into 2, replacing the skimmer, adding a baja shelf, new LED lights, new coping, and pool tile.

Hopefully I can ask the right questions going forward and engage with this community to help our family in this new remodeling venture.
Thanks for having us!

Hello TFP community!
My family and I recently purchased a mid-century home built in 1969 with original in ground pool and spa. I'm completely new to being a pool owner and I did not grow up with a pool myself so my knowledge on anything pool related is very limited in scope. I've been trying to catch up by watching a ton of Youtube videos on pool maintenance and remodeling.

Our pool is on the smaller side, about 90 linear feet and about 8500 gallons with copper piping for supply and returns. It currently has brick coping and the plaster is in super rough shape and is discolored from the copper lines.

The pool is currently drained and not in use as we plan to remodel this pool in the coming months which is probably a dumb thing to do in this current pool industry shortage and higher prices, but we're hoping to get the feedback of the TFP community to help us along. I'm also a general contractor and have good knowledge of electrical and piping work and love to do things myself to save some $ and gain knowledge.

So far, I've been shopping for newer, modern pool equipment on the secondary market and have a new Hayward Tristar VS950, a used Hayward 4820 DE filter, and a used Jandy LX400 gas heater. I also have a Pentair WhisperFlo pump from the original equipment.

We plan on refinishing with some sort of Pebble finish, repiping the lines to PVC, splitting the single main drain into 2, replacing the skimmer, adding a baja shelf, new LED lights, new coping, and pool tile.

Hopefully I can ask the right questions going forward and engage with this community to help our family in this new remodeling venture.
Thanks for having us!
Welcome to TFP.
That is quite a project. But you have come to the right community for guidance. Someone, somewhere on the forum has the knowledge to help you. Start a new thread under construction and post some pictures of existing pool. Good Luck.

Reactions: dawaves