New pool owner

May 5, 2017
Morris Alabama
No problems with the pool, water clear, pool store says Chem levels look good. I have a come of questions..... I have an auto chlorinator, it takes 3 inch tablets, how many should I put in at a time, how long should I run my pump, what does regular maintenance involve?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I speculate that you may be advised to use only Liquid Chlorine as the sanitizer. The problem with the tabs is the stabilizer in them accumulates to the point that any amount of chlorine will be ineffective. Result ...a cloudy green pool. The upside is that if your current stabilizer level is low enough, you could make it the 2 years. Regardless, you'll need the recommended test kit to see what's what.

No problems with the pool, water clear, pool store says Chem levels look good. I have a come of questions..... I have an auto chlorinator, it takes 3 inch tablets, how many should I put in at a time, how long should I run my pump, what does regular maintenance involve?

Welcome to the forum! In order to help you, we need to have water test results from a reliable test kit (either the TF-100 or Taylor K2006C). Pool store test results are not to be trusted.

Even with weekly shock treatments?

I suggest you read https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry

If you properly maintain the free chlorine level in your pool you will never need to "shock" your pool. There are many members of this forum who have not "shocked" or SLAMed their pool in years and always have crystal clear water. Once you learn about pool water chemistry and get one of the recommended test kits taking care of your pool will be very easy.

how long should I run my pump, what does regular maintenance involve?

How long you run your pump will depend a lot of factors, but if your 1hp pump is a single speed, it will be between 4-12 hours per day. If you search the site for "pump run time" you will find many threads discussing this.

Once you have one of the recommended test kits, you will want to test your water every day for a couple of weeks while you learn about how to maintain your pool water's chemistry. After that, you will probably test every other day. Most forum members add liquid chlorine to their pool every day or every other day.

For other maintenance, you will generally brush the walls of your pool and vacuum the floor of your pool once per week. Many people have automatic pool cleaners to do this for them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Especially with weekly shock treatments as the "shock" also adds stabilizer - the more you shock the faster the stabilizer level rises. I switched to the TFP method (bleach) a year ago and have not "shocked" my pool since and have crystal clear water. This after 15 years of constantly fighting algae with tabs, shock, algecides, etc and lots of money. I now spend about $10/wk in bleach with the occasional gal of muratic acid.

Yes, that's right. I would add half a gallon a day of bleach until you get your test kit, or leave your chlorinator on until you get your test kit in order to maintain you FC level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

None, until you have a test kit to accurately measure your CYA level. Most forms of solid chlorine add CYA, and without knowing your current level we don't want to add any more. Only use liquid chlorine, aka bleach, to raise your free chlorine (FC) level.

Aerating the pool is done to raise the pH as part of the procedure for lowering your TA (total alkalinity).

For now, you're going to add acid to lower pH only to about 7.6 (no lower than 7.2). There is no need to aerate yet. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.