New pool owner with some minor problems

Poolanimous

Nov 18, 2019
Sydney
Hi Guys!

Learning a lot from the brains trust here. I am based in Sydney Australia and just acquired a pool a few months ago.

Have decided to start doing my own pool maintenance. Pool robot broke down a few weeks ago and this means I have had to manually vacuum, but not doing so great a job. I think that as a result the water hasn't been in the best shape. I've ordered a new robot which should be coming next week.

Water is pretty clear, but there is what appears to be dust/algae at the bottom. Comes off with vacuuming and gradually accumulates along with leaf litter.

Thought I would slam once I got my PH and CYA levels in a good place.

Here were my Clearchoice Labs DPD results:

CYA? [viewing tube did not arrive unfortunately - they apologised and are sending it separately]
FC: 8
CC: 0
Ph: 7.8+?
TA: 125
CH: 675
Salt: 5600 ( Sens 5600)

Before I could complete DIY, the pool robot demo dude offered to test my water himself and fix it. He felt that the dust was a mixture of dust and algae - mostly dust though. He used a Spin Touch.....

IMG_3592.JPG

So weird thing was Salt was very low as per his results. Ph too high which matched mine. PO4 very high which I could not measure. Other parameters seemed to roughly match.

He said he would do it all for free given I was buying a robot from him. He added Benzalkonium Cl- Copper compound to bring down the PO4 and get rid of the algae, also added a Phosphate reducer, 300g of granular chlorine and 100g of acid. He said I would need to add about 4 large bags of salt to get my salt levels up

So questions ...

1. What do you think of his measurements vs. mine? esp. salt and PO4. Reliability of Spin Touch?
2. What do you think of his intervention
3. Prior to him coming I had added about 300g of dry acid ( HCL was sold out) due to high PH readings which did not seem to shift the PH very much and I am wondering why this was

G'day and welcome to TFP! :wave: Most important thing right now ...... don't rely on anyone else for testing or help. Adding the copper did nothing to help and adding copper is never good. We also advise not to use dry avid, but instead use muriatic acid to lower pH. Once you get the CYA tube from Clearchoice, confirm the CYA and follow the SLAM Process by balancing the FC and CYA according to the FC/CYA Levels. It's really that simple. But you must verify your own CYA. With your own kit, I think it's safe to at least lower the pH to about 7.2 and increase the FC to at least 10 for now. If you confirm the CYA to be 30 or more later, increase the FC as required until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Use liquid chlorine for the SLAM Process and give the SWG a break. Remember, with your own proper testing, you can do it. Let us know if you have anymore questions.

Texas, thanks!

So I'm guessing I should also ignore his low salt finding? I'm wondering why his reading was so off for salt if it is incorrect. Both my aqua test strips and the reagent test are saying salt is okay. If anything reagent result is showing a highish salt of 5600

Last edited:
I'm wondering why his reading was so off for salt if it is incorrect.
Hard to tell. Often times pool techs/builders don't always have the best tools methods when it comes to chemistry. Always trust your own testing as long as you are using one of the reliable water and salt test kits/products.

Okay so there was a big chlorine dump by the pool robot guy as I mentioned. He also dusted the step (which had a bit of brown staining) with 70% low additive granular chlorine. Pool looks great. Stains all gone.

CYA viewing tube just came. I did a check just now and found ...

CYA: 20
FCL: 22
CC: 0

From the chart looks like FCL has overshot the SLAM FC of 10. However I wasn't intending to SLAM then!

So what do I do next? Wait for the FCL to come down? Should I just do an overnight FC loss test?

I guess I should turn the SWG off now

Last edited:
o what do I do next? Wait for the FCL to come down? Should I just do an overnight FC loss test?

I guess I should turn the SWG off now
Correct on all. The FC will fall on its own. Since your FC is so high for your current CYA of only 20, let it fall to about 12 or so before doing the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. Also, remember the pH test will always be skewed (high) when the FC is over 10.

Now in your post #1 you observed some dust/algae on the bottom, so watch for that. If that's all gone and you pass the OCLT, then I would increase the CYA to 70 which is the TFP recommended level for a salt pool and keep everything balanced as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. If you do see what appears to be algae, or fail the OCLT, then only increase the CYA to "30" and perform the SLAM Process. Once the SLAM is complete, then you can increase the CYA to 70.

Last edited:
If you do see what appears to be algae, or fail the OCLT, then only increase the CYA to 30 and perform the SLAM Process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.