Jul 2, 2021
Huntsville, AL
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi, TFP!

I've been handling the pool care at my sister-in-law's new house since she bought it about a month ago. It's kind of a long story, but she bought it as a temporary home to store all her furniture and stuff while she builds a home and then my wife and I will buy the home from her and do some major renovations. So, I thought since it'd be our pool eventually and no one will be living at the house for a while, I would be the one to take care of the pool.

This is my first time being the primary carer for a pool. I did help do plenty of pool chores for my family's pool when I was growing up, but I didn't truly understand what I needed to do when and why.

I had been aware of the TFP method for a while, so I bought a TF-Pro kit and immediately started using it with the pool. I go over to the house every day or two to test and add liquid chlorine and/or muriatic acid.

The previous owner was using Trichlor tabs in an in-line feeder. During the second week, I turned the feeder on and left it at the lowest setting as a backup method to make sure the FC didn't dive too much if I skipped a day to check on the pool. The CYA was around 30 then. By the next time I measured CYA, it was up to 80. I learned my lesson and have kept the feeder off since then.

Lately, the pool seems to have gradually gotten hazier. I'm not sure if I need to SLAM or not. I'm constantly getting a significant amount of dirt at the bottom of the pool. Maybe I'm just kicking the dirt up when vacuuming and it's not properly being sucked into the vacuum hose? There are a couple of tree limbs overhanging the pool slightly that drop in a good bit of leaves and pine straw. Could the dirt be coming from the tree debris? Or could my sand filter laterals or something be busted and leaking sand back into the pool? If that were the case, would the sand be pooled just below the returns or would it be distributed throughout the pool bottom?

Today's test:
FC (FAS-DPD): 3 (I've added a gallon of 7.5% bleach)
CC: 0
pH: 7.9 (I added 8 oz of 31.45% muriatic acid)
TA: 50
CH: Inconclusive. I've had no success with getting a valid reading with pool water or the standard sampler. I've even bought new reagents from a local Leslie's store. Unsure what I'm doing wrong with this test.
CYA: 70
Temp: 79

I've attached a picture from today to this post. The shallow end looks okay. I'm just not sure if the deep end is just dirty or if the situation is worse than that. I'll vacuum the deep end tomorrow.

I'm 80-90% convinced that I should SLAM the pool. At some point during my first couple of weeks managing the pool, the FC dropped to 0.5 or below once or twice. I'm guessing that the hazy water is due to algae that haven't been completely killed off and are multiplying?

Lastly, a couple of random questions:
1. After using the pool, the soles of my feet are usually blue. Could high FC levels in a fiberglass pool cause the paint (or whatever coating is on fiberglass) to rub off? Or is there some other reason for this?
2. The sand filter leaks a bit of water from around the sight glass when I start to backwash. Then when I turn off the pump, you can hear air escaping from there too. Should I worry about this? Patch it with some kind of glue or epoxy?

I would greatly appreciate any and all help or insight into any of the things I've mentioned. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_7032.jpg
    IMG_7032.jpg
    696.6 KB · Views: 34
Blue feet?? Well, we know an excess of copper can turn hair and nails blue...... perhaps feet too?

Please take a water sample down to a pool store and ask them to test for metals. Nothing else needed, just metals. Don't buy anything they push at you. Just say "I've got some at home."

Do you have any idea what chemicals the previous owners used? What type of pucks, for example. If they left any chemicals try to take a picture of them for me, ok?

Can you try to tighten the view glass on the pump to solve that leak?

You chlorine level is too low. We base our chlorine level on the FC/CYA chart --> FC/CYA Levels
Keep the FC higher than the minimal level so that you can lose some FC daily to the sun yet still have chlorine in the pool ready to work.

Maddie :flower:

Last edited:
Thanks for your suggestion! I'll take a sample to the pool store for metal testing.

I've attached a couple of pictures of what the previous owners left behind. The chemicals they were using are: Clorox pH Down, Clorox Crazy Clarifier, PoolBrand Algaecide 40, and Clorox XtraBLUE tablets (the box of muriatic acid is my purchase).

I attempted to hand-tighten the view glass on the filter, but it didn't seem to budge at all. I hesitate to take a pair of pliers to it.

FC was at 5 today. I added enough bleach to try to take it up to about 8.

I'm going to perform an OCLT tonight. If the FC drops by > 1ppm, then I'll spend my 4th starting a SLAM.

Attachments

• IMG_6968.jpg
    IMG_6968.jpg
    570.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7037.jpg
    IMG_7037.jpg
    771.4 KB · Views: 14
There is it: “Clorox eXtraBlue” has copper in it. If that was the only thing the previous owner used than you likely have a LOT of copper in your water.

You should also avoid the Alka down (dry acid) too. It adds sulfates to your water. With enough sulfates and high CH gypsum forms in your water.

Thanks for your help! After reading Copper in Pool Water - Further Reading, I ordered a few quarts of Jack's Magic The Blue Stuff. But I guess I'll probably need to partially or fully drain the pool to truly fix the problem. I still need to test my water for metals at the local pool store, but I am pretty confident that high copper levels is what's causing the green, cloudy water.

I still don't know about the dirt that quickly accumulates at the bottom of the pool. I tried to gather some with a finger to see if it was sand or dirt particles or what, but it seemed more like a grimy film. I may at some point open up the sand filter and do a deep clean. I have no idea how long it's been since the previous owners did that. Maybe I'll try to check the laterals while doing that.

I performed an OCLT and got the same FC and CC levels for both my evening and morning tests. So at least I don't need to SLAM right now.

My pool has finally cleared up. I have that same issue as the particles forming on the bottom over night. The vacuum and my robot seems to just spread it. Seems my filter must slowly clearing that out over time.

I added about 48 oz of Jack's Magic The Blue Stuff about 3 days ago, but don't see much change. After looking at images of pools with green water due to high copper levels, I don't think that's my (primary) issue.

My water is now quite green and cloudy (pic attached) and so I'm guessing it's an algae problem even though my OCLT last week passed with no overnight FC drop. Would the fact that the pump is running 24/7 be a factor here?

When starting to vacuum my pool today, I did see something new and have attached the quick pic I was able to take. A couple minutes after starting to vacuum the pool, one of the returns was shooting out pretty dirty water for about a minute. Probably happened from the other return too, but the water's too cloudy there to tell.

I'm back to thinking I need to SLAM the pool. Since I don't live at the house where the pool I'm caring for is located, I'm going to wait until the next weekend to start the process.

Today's levels before adding 48 oz of liquid chlorine:
FC: 4.5
CC: 0
pH: 7.5
TA: 40 (I know I need to bump this up. I wasn't sure if I should wait until after SLAM to do it)
CH: 50 (Low, but it's a fiberglass pool. I'll raise this at some point after a SLAM too)
CYA: 60

I haven't gotten a pool store test of the metals in my water yet, but will be taking a sample tomorrow for testing.

Attachments

• IMG_7065.jpg
    IMG_7065.jpg
    642.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7066.jpg
    IMG_7066.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 9
I did get a pool store test for metals on 7/13. Copper and iron were both at 0.1, so no concerns with those.

I performed a SLAM from 7/17 - 7/23. The water's looking nice and blue now, but still pretty hazy/cloudy.

Yesterday's test results:

FC: 11 (still coming down from the SLAM)
CC: 0.0
pH: 7.2 (Added 33 oz of Borax to try to bring pH up to around 7.6. Haven't checked the pH yet today.)
TA: 45 (Hoping that the Borax will help bring this up a bit. Otherwise, I have some baking soda ready to add today.)
CH: 50
CYA: 40

Would the low pH and slightly low TA contribute to the haziness/cloudiness?

Picture from yesterday attached.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7098.jpg
    IMG_7098.jpg
    627.6 KB · Views: 8

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks everyone for your help! The pool ended up clearing up after a few more days. My sand filter seems to take its time. At least 2 full weeks from starting the SLAM until it was totally clear.

The other thing that has helped a lot was realizing that I should be vacuuming to waste in order to get rid of the fine dirt particles that the sand filter can't catch. Before, I was just cycling it back into the pool when vacuuming on the Filter multiport setting.

Now, I just need to figure out what is rubbing off of the fiberglass pool floor that stains my feet blue. Seems like a fine sediment that take many passes to vacuum up.

Attachments

• IMG_7134.jpg
    IMG_7134.jpg
    593.8 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: stricttime
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.