New Pool Owner - with basic to no knowledge at all - Filter Pump Runtime and RPM

embeleco

Jun 2, 2019
Florida, USA
Hi.

We embarked on a pool construction several months ago and finally the PB started filling the pool and running the pumps / chemicals 2 days ago. It is a standard - rectangular pool with spa. Pool is 12x31 and spa is around 38-40sqf. Pool includes a sunshelf and some water features like bubblers on the sunshelf / deck jets / spa has 4 jets / spillover to pool / water tower in spa.

I have two pumps. A variable pump (Jandy) for the main Pool/Spa and another pump to run the water features. For the past two days that the main pump has been running circulation on the pool is great and very noticeable. I'm still waiting the Pool Class and the automation piece (iAqualink). I went ahead and added the system and connected to the iaqualink myself. I can see the VS filter pump running at 3450RPM and for 12 hours a day. Just wondering what the normals RPM / Hours to use for both filtration system and for Spa / etc.

Sorry to bother you.. just trying to learn as much as possible on this new gadget.

-embeleco (sorry for the typos)

E,

The whole point of having a VS pump is to run as slow as your pool will allow. Running at 3450 is the same as having a single speed pump and just does not make any sense... It probably costs you more to run your pump for a day, than it costs me to run mine 24/7 for a month...

I run my pump at 1200 RPM most of the time.. There is almost zero reasons to run any VS pump at 3450 (full speed)

You do not need to actually see the circulation to have good circulation

If you can complete your pool's signature, so that we know more about your pool, we might be able to give you some better answers.. See my signature below as an example...

Thanks,

Jim R.

E,

Thanks for the signature... it is perfect!!

In my mind the minimum speed you want to run your pump is the speed that will turn on your salt cell's flow switch plus 100 RPM..

Just turn down the speed until the low flow light or alarm comes on... then slowly bring the speed back up until the low flow light goes out. Then add 100 RPM to the speed and that would be the lowest speed you want to run.

For me that speed is 1200 RPM and that is where I run my pool most of the time.

None of this is set in stone, but it is a good starting point..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.