New Pool Owner with a Few Questions

Jul 17, 2013
Carrollton, TX
We bought a house last week with a pool and I finally was able to test the water with my TF-100. The pool is crystal clear but it does have a few things I'm worried about. Hopefully you all will be able to help me out.

FC 1
CC .5
TA 80
CH 780
PH 7.5
CYA 50

Living in Texas and the pool getting full sun throughout the day I think the CYA is ok?

The CH is the thing that has me worried. I've done reading in Pool School about high CH and the general thought is to not worry too much about it. Thoughts? There is also some white, salt like, buildup on the stone wall going from the pool to the raised spa. Is this just Calcium buildup? Anything to remove it?

There are also some greenish/brown spots on the stairs and I'm not sure what it is? Hard scrubbing with a pumice stone seemed to remove the spots. Is this the best way to remove? There was also some green stuff on a small step by the spa where the sweeper can't get to. I scrubbed it with the pumice stone too and it came off really easy and created a big green cloud.

I can get some pictures tonight when I get home from work if that will help.

I added 121 oz of 8.25% bleach last night to raise my FC to 7. Not sure what it's at now. I'm going to SLAM this weekend and see if it passes the OCLT.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

That CYA should be fine. And the high-ish CH is not an uncommon problem in TX and AZ. You will just want to keep a close eye on the pH to help avoid calcium scaling.

You can test the stains using a trichlor puck for a few minutes, if it goes away, then the stain is organic and elevated FC should remove it.

Good on you for raising the FC and I think going through the SLAM process is a good idea to ensure you are starting with a pristine pool.

Have you read Pool School and understand the chemistry?

This is a little advanced ... basically learn to use poolcalulator.com and then you want to keep the calcite saturation index (CSI) neutral. Using what you provided (and making assumptions on salt and temperature), ideally you could keep the pH closer to 7.2 and don't let it get above 7.8.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.