petorius

Jul 20, 2021
New Hampshire
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello All, new pool owner here. Purchased a house with our first pool a few months back (July). The previous owner had been maintaining the pool with Pristine Blue and chlorine, which appears to have worked well. The pool looks great and we have not noticed any green staining of clothes, pool components, or hair. I decided to continue the previous owner's maintenance routine until our stock of hand-me-down chemicals was depleted. We are nearly there, and I want to take control of this bad boy (32,000 gallons). We are closing the pool in about a month (New Hampshire), but I would like to position myself for a more TFP-approved approach next season.

I assume my first move is to get my hands on a test kit. I am looking at the TF-Pro, but wondering what the shelf-life of the reagents is. Would it be stupid for me to buy now, when we are about to close the pool, vs waiting until next spring? Do the reagents expire in months or years? Also, I understand that Pristine Blue is a copper-based algaecide, and copper is the bad. I have read on here that the pool store is the way to go for copper testing, and copper testing only. Anything specific I need to request from the pool store when getting this tested?

Lastly, we have scheduled a local pool store to do the closing for us. Anything I need to know or be prepared to do, or just let the pool store handle the whole process this first year? Thanks in advance!

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Texas, San Antonio/Marion, South-Central Area
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Congrats on the new home/pool. You are correct to be concerned about the Pristine Blue. Once the copper level gets too high, bad things happen. You can go to the local pool store for a free test. Just say the water looks fine and thank you as you leave with your printout. Let us know what the copper level is.

When others come to close, watch the overall routine and take notes. Also watch to see what chemicals they add. I suspect they'll add an algaecide. If it's not Polyquat 60 or some other non-copper product, you might ask they not use it. The link below should help you.

The TF Pro is a great kit. They also have one with the speedstir which I highly recommend. Most of those reagents (Taylor by the way) should last all season if not more depending on how much you use. Just store indoors somewhere cool and dry. Accurate home testing is perhaps the most important thing you can do for your pool. :goodjob:

Don't forget to update your signature! If you have any other questions, let us know.

petorius

Jul 20, 2021
New Hampshire
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
First test results below, performed ~10 days after the last application of any chemicals due to a vacation. No copper test yet, although I know it is needed due to the historical Pristine Blue regimen that was used. We are closing the pool on October 7th (pool store is coming to do it), so I would specifically like advice on how to prep for that event, as well as any feedback on swimming safety given the low chlorine levels. I'm assuming I need to raise the chlorine ASAP. Oddly, the pool is still crystal clear, presumably due to the copper. TIA!

FC 1
CC 1
pH 6.8
TA 30
CH 825 - edit, I missed the copper adjustment, need to retest this one
CYA 70

Edit- Having read more about the testing procedures and watched some videos, I will be redoing all tests for better accuracy.

Last edited: