New pool owner, super high CYA... what to do during off season?

Kiyamon

Hello,

Been a lurker for a month! I live in Arizona, and recently bought a house with a pool. The water in the pool seemed ok, but consistently tested high in chlorine and just below "ideal" in pH... after reading here I assumed the CYA was high. After having it tested at a local pool place, thee chlorine was high (9.21) and pH was ok (7.4), alkalinity was ok (130), the hardness was high (986), CYA high (194) and Phosphate was HIGH (2341). The former owner had mentioned they hadn't changed the water in probably 10 years. So I know that I need to drain and refill the pool... but I am wondering how to proceed now that the swim season is coming to an end. We are still having a few days hitting 100s temps, but unless it is right at the hottest part of the day, the pool is too cold for my kids. I've been having to brush it every few days because algae keeps growing on the plaster and currently have the pump going 8 hours a day. It was recommended to me to drain and refill when it is cooler outside (70-80s, probably late October or early November in AZ), but should I let the pool get full of algae? I really do not want to have to run the pump 8 hours a day and have to brush it every 2 days (it's a huge 20'x40' pool) when my family will not be utilizing the pool. Any advice or feedback will be appreciated. Thank you.

01765402-B7CD-4BBF-AF89-B491A204D209.JPG

Kiyamon

Sorry meant PPM. I have a Test Kit, which confirmed the high levels of chlorine and lower-ish pH. I know I need to drain the pool, but I read it is best practice to do it when it's cooler. Because of the off chemistry of my pool I am getting algae and I am having to brush and backwash often. Just need advice on how to best proceed. Thanks.