New Pool owner (since November / April Open) Already tired of pool stores..first test

Apr 19, 2017
Wichita Kansas
I just got my TF-100 and Speed Stir!

I hope I did this right. I plugged these numbers into the pool math sheet, but I think I need to take some steps here.

Liner is brand new and I think the pool store has messed me up...hopefully it is not that bad.

FC = 12
CC = 1
CH = 125
TA = 170
TC = 5CL or 10 Br - not sure what to put here
PH 8.2 or higher... I put a gallon of muratic in it last week and it is already high again. We have had A LOT of rain though.
CYA is between 0-10... the black dot VERY hard to see, but could see it.

I need to add to my signature that it is a covered pool.

Thank you in advance for your help! I have been reading everything I can find on here the least 2-3 weeks. Wish I would have found you sooner!

EDIT: I failed and did not get a salt test. The pure swim reads 3500 PPM.
EDIT 2: Water is crystal clear

Jason

Jason, it sounds like you're doing fine for a newbie. Sure you can tweak a few things but if your water is crystal clear you sure haven't messed anything up for sure!

On the Combined Chloramines test, it took 2 drops to clear?? This bears investigating because at 1ppm that's more than we feel safe with. See if it was a testing goof and if not we should consider performing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. Or raise your FC up to slam level and let it come down again and see how it looks. Ahhhhh! wait! I see you say its a covered pool!! Sometimes if you don't let the pool breath uncovered now and then you'll have CCs that need to be burned off. See if that helps fix this issue?

pH- get some more MA in there pronto! Use PoolMath to guide you on how much to add. Enter 8.2 in the far left hand "Now" column (along with all your other results) and then put in 7.2 in the "Target" column. Not only will this lower your pH, but it will also give you a jump on lowering that TA.
Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

I see your pool is vinyl. Don't add or worry about calcium as your liner doesn't require any.

Don't worry too much about the FC of 5/ Br (Bromine)10.... you don't have a bromine pool so ignore that. The limit of 5 is pretty useless to most of us but occasionally we use that for just a confirmation that "yes, there *is* chlorine in there although we're not exactly sure how much". The testing block is just basically used for pH.

CYA... you can perform this test and put all the fluid back into the squirt bottle and try again. It is a subjective thing. Have you *put* CYA Stabilizer into your pool?? That needs to get raised especially if using the SWG.

Here are our recommended levels: [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] and Pool School - Recommended Levels

Maddie :flower:

Thank you so much Maddie! I forgot to add that it is a vinyl liner. I just updated my signature. I did add 4 lbs of stabalizer in. I will add some more tomorrow. (already have the pantyhose!)

It did only take two drops on the CC. I ran it twice. I should add thought that it really did not turn very pink. It was a very light pink. I will run again. Going out now to add the muratic.

Ok - I did the FC and CC again.

It came back 27 drops of FC.
I add the 5 drops and it barely turned pink. 1 Drop of R-0871 cleared it right up.

I am definetly light on CYA. Going to add what I have tonight (4 lbs). According to pool math, I will need 12 more lbs. I will add it in in pieces to make sure I do not over-add... unless that is dumb.

Ok, so when you did the FC test was it using 10cc of pool water or 25cc?? If it was 10cc of pool water that's easy- just divide the number of drops by 2 = 13.5 FC
And then your CC test you said was 1 drop turned the solution back to clear, right? That's great, that = 0.5ppm which is acceptable.

Definitely add CYA in small batches so you don't overshoot. Its a PITA to get *out* of the pool so take steps to be sure before putting it *into* the pool!!

Holler back with any other questions :)

I wanted to give it a couple of days so I just ran new numbers on the things we are looking at.

7.2 PH
30 CYA
FC 30 drops / 2 (10 ML of water) = 15
CC - it was 2 drops. Do I also divide that by 2? I have kept the pool covered the last couple of days, but now it is open.

Should I turn the chlorination down?
How long should I wait to add CYA?

Thank you much!

I wanted to give it a couple of days so I just ran new numbers on the things we are looking at.

7.2 PH
30 CYA
FC 30 drops / 2 (10 ML of water) = 15
CC - it was 2 drops. Do I also divide that by 2? I have kept the pool covered the last couple of days, but now it is open.

Should I turn the chlorination down?
How long should I wait to add CYA?

Thank you much!

I'm of the thought that when you cover a pool it causes the CCs to be contained, under the cover. Normally the sun helps burn those off but when the cover stays on they don't hence you saw your test results show 1ppm. I'd give it a few hours and retest the FC/CC again and see if it has improved.

You can tweak the SWG down a bit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.