New pool owner questions, please help

WSteam

May 9, 2021
Long Island
Hello all. I am hoping some of you can give me some insight about the swimming pool that I had installed last October. It is a 15 foot above ground that is 4 feet deep. The main question I have is why did they add salt to my water? They installed a smart ionizer on the discharge side of the pump. I borrowed a friend's water tester and it read as follows
Chl Low pH 7.0 TDs 2400 salt 1400 orp 846
What levels do I need to maintain with this pool as this salt thing has me confused. What kind of chemical regimen? God forbid someone at the pool place answers the phone and there are no instructions at all. Thank you for your help

Hello! Are you sure its an ionizer and not a Salt Water Chlorine Generator? Ionizers are pretty worthless and we don't recommend folks waste any money for them, but SWGs (salt water chlorinators) are the bomb! You would want one of those to make your chlorine from the salt in the water and then it returns to salt water again. Great system!

Those chem tests are pretty worthless also. No one cares about TDS or Orp, but a low chlorine level will give you algae in no time. How were you planning on sanitizing this pool???

Can you get us a picture of the pool and equipment pad?

You also need a *reliable* test kit- one that tells you: (and pool store results are usually inaccurate)
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt if applicable

I like the TF-100, available at www.tftestkits.net or the other kit that we recommend is the Taylor K-2006C. The TF-100 is a better buy though.

Some quick reads-
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Recommended Levels
FC/CYA Levels

Maddie :flower:

You had a pool installed but your unclear on the details? Do you have a contract or statement that describes what was installed? Could you provide some details about the pool and equipment?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.