New Pool Owner looking for input

I'm looking for an automatic suction cleaner that will work with my setup. I just moved into a house with a ~20,000 gallon pool, and I consistently get sand and dirt on the bottom. No trees nearby, it's all fine debris for the most part. My parents' pool growing up was probably closer to 30,000 gallons and they had a kreepy krauly that seemed to do fine, but the trouble was keeping suction. They would need to turn the main drain off and keep the skimmer low, while having the vacuum suction all the way open. The trouble with mine is - I don't have a way to turn the skimmer down and I don't have a main drain. I have a valve that controls the vacuum suction. Would I be better served using the skimmer on full with the adapter while turning the vacuum suction (port?) off, or will that not generate enough suction?

Also, will a suction cleaner like the kreepy krauly even be the best option for my 20,000 gallon pool? Most people point to robots, but they're so expensive that I don't know if I want to pull the trigger on one considering I just converted to salt water + installed a new liner + next year I will likely have to replace the entire pump and sand filter system due to the builders using cheap knockoff equipment. I may be pushing $10,000 on all this within 2 years if I go for a robot as well. There is also a booster pump already in the system, but it sounds like it's on its last legs whenever I turn it on so I doubt it's usable for long. All input appreciated!

Welcome to TFP, Revans :handwave:

Can you post a picture of your equipment pad and the pool? That might help us figure this out together.

Also if you could go up top to "Settings" and the drop down list will show you "Signature" please tell us everything you know about the pool: dimensions, size, equipment, how you sanitize, etc. That helps folks answer too.

Do you have an electric outlet near the pool? That would be a go/no go on the robot discussion.

How are you testing your water? Are you sure that what you're seeing is sand and not algae? Does it feel gritty or blow away like dust when you try to pick it up??

Maddie :flower:

Welcome to TFP, Revans :handwave:

Can you post a picture of your equipment pad and the pool? That might help us figure this out together.

Also if you could go up top to "Settings" and the drop down list will show you "Signature" please tell us everything you know about the pool: dimensions, size, equipment, how you sanitize, etc. That helps folks answer too.

Do you have an electric outlet near the pool? That would be a go/no go on the robot discussion. Yes I have multiple outlets by the pool, including one by the pump itself.

How are you testing your water? Are you sure that what you're seeing is sand and not algae? Does it feel gritty or blow away like dust when you try to pick it up?? I'm using the Taylor K-2006 and K-1766 test kits. All readings have been fine (aside from water hardness being 140 ppm, but from what I've read it's not a huge issue with vinyl pools). The sand/dirt definitely blows away, but I haven't been able to actually get into the pool yet this year to determine if it's gritty. I believe the sand in the filter needs to be replaced, could I be getting sand from that in my pool? There's no sand near the pool and I don't even live near the beach.

Hi Maddie! I've uploaded about 20 pictures at the following link: http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/revans1691/library/ I've also updated my signature with what I know. The pump and sand filter are originals and have lost their ID badges, but the pool guy I had over said they were knockoff brands that were designed to look like Hayward. The original builder of the pool likely had several in their shop and they were much cheaper than the name brand. The pump has already burnt up once, luckily covered by my home warranty. See the answers to your questions in red above!

- - - Updated - - -

I'd start pricing a booster pump. Spread it out some.
How much do those typically run? Worth it to get that and a good pressure cleaner given all the other equipment I still need to get, or am I better off just getting a ~cheaper suction cleaner for now until next year when I can revamp the whole system?

Gotta love a deep pool that allows for slides (deep enough for diving!) Yay!

LOL your filter looks like a painted pumpkin, doesn't it! It is hard for me to determine much from the equipment pics though. :(

As for cleaners, this little robot is $399. Of course it doesn't climb walls but it has good reviews otherwise. Not a lot more than a pressure side cleaner and it doesn't need a pump!
Doheny's Kleen Pool Cleaner For Sale | Doheny's Pool Supplies Fast

Is the booster pump only for a cleaner? A robot will mean you don't need to buy one.

Gotta love a deep pool that allows for slides (deep enough for diving!) Yay!

LOL your filter looks like a painted pumpkin, doesn't it! It is hard for me to determine much from the equipment pics though. :(

As for cleaners, this little robot is $399. Of course it doesn't climb walls but it has good reviews otherwise. Not a lot more than a pressure side cleaner and it doesn't need a pump!
Doheny's Kleen Pool Cleaner For Sale | Doheny's Pool Supplies Fast

Is the booster pump only for a cleaner? A robot will mean you don't need to buy one.

I assume the booster pump is only for a cleaner. I like the robot idea, do you know anything about it's longevity? The kreepy krauly I was looking at was <$300, so getting a decent robot for ~$100 more might be worth it as long as it'll last a few years.
How can I better get pictures of the equipment? All the labels on all the equipment are worn off. Do you mean just the overall makeup and where different pipes go?

Do not buy a booster pump. pressure side cleaners are fading as robots take over the industry. Limp along with a suction side if you want but save your biucks for a robot. $700 will get you in on a robot for that 20k pool and you will never look back.

Duraleigh suggested ditching the pressure cleaner and getting a Robot to me when I was building, and it was the best single thing I did on my build. He also advised that $$$ equals cleaning power, and that was spot on. I spent a good deal, but still feel I got every pennies worth and now going on season 4 with mine. Couldn't be happier.

Do not buy a booster pump. pressure side cleaners are fading as robots take over the industry. Limp along with a suction side if you want but save your biucks for a robot. $700 will get you in on a robot for that 20k pool and you will never look back.

Thanks for the input. I was researching robots and came across the Nautilus, but I'm confused on the model #'s. I found a 99996113-US and a 99996116-US that are seemingly identical. What is with the naming conventions?? https://www.poolsupply4less.com/Dolphin-Nautilus-Pool-Cleaner-with-CleverClean-p/99996113-us.htm https://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com...0uybS2827vizGZeJkY6B7J9CDVnv7aIN4whoCURTw_wcB

I have no idea where the different model #'s come in.

Think of buying a mattress and then you will understand pool robot marketing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.