Layton. Utah
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Ok so bare with me as I am trying to learn the ins and outs here.....I have read my guts out, but am still perplexed...

So last night and then right now, I tested....with the dunk strip

FC 3 and .5
PH 6.8 both
TA 120...but kinda dark so maybe 140..
and Hardness is out of the park 1000....we are in Utah and unless I truck in water, I dont think this will ever be fixed...

I shocked yesterday, and turned off my SWG...(but with how fast it calcifies might not really work that well??)

Maybe thats the reason the FC dropped??

Also the pool is kinda cloudy, I can still see the bottom, and across, but it is hazy looking..

16X48....and been up since Mon, but the kids now back, have swam like crazy the last 3 days...

Would a sand filter be huge upgrade over the paper?? maybe help with the cloudy

My TA was 180-200 before I added shock.....but still no clear up of cloudy

Sigh, feel like I am chasing my tail here....

Oh and ran the filter all night as well

Thanks

Welcome to TFP!

A few things - all of the things you are describing are chemistry problems, not filtration issues.

You need one of the recommended test kits as test strips don't cut it.

We don't know what your CYA level is, so I can't say if your FC is too low but I'm guessing it is.

Ditch the strips, they're junk. Get the TF100, get some reliable results and post them here. It seems expensive, but it will likely last for years (if you store it right), and you won't waste time and money chasing your tail. We'll tell you what you need to do.

Welcome to TFP!

Get the TF100 and the speed stirrer. You'll love that bad boy!

Ok so being the impatient person i am....i tried out the cheapy tester kit (2 columns for CL and PH) and it came out as follows

CL uhhh 0 :( no color at all
PH 8.2 maybe higher, it stayed pretty pink again :(

Sooooo reading around, I found for my 16x48 I needed roughly 3 cups of Bleach to start out....dumped it in

45 min later.....still pretty hazy, a little clearer, but not much.....

some hyrdrochloric acid, again reading around, about a pint.........

10 min walking around the yard checking garden stuffs...

SHA FREAKING ZAM!!!!!! :mrgreen: CLEAR CLEAR CLEAR.....

So i will leave the pump running again tonight, and check levels in the morning..

So far no growth :whoot: Test kit just ordered, soooo hopefully by end of week itll be here.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.