Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi all,

Just purchased a new house that has a pretty incredible backyard pool/spa. My family had above ground pools when I was a kid in the Northeast, but this is a first for me. I’m very nervous to say the least. It’s a 15,000 gallon salt water pool/spa. I’m friends with the prior owner, and he’s been incredibly helpful so far helping me keep it limping along.

I ordered the Pro test kit for salt pools last night, and I’ll post the results of the test as soon as I can. Not knowing any better, I took a few samples to Leslie’s to have the water tested. I’m pretty sure something is up with whatever device measures the salt level, because it’s saying I need to add salt when Leslie’s test is indicating it is reading on the high end.

So far they’ve prescribed a regiment of muriatic acid to lower the alkalinity, instant conditioner to raise the CYA, and shock. From the test results they provided me, this seems to make sense. I’ve been adding the acid in slowly, making sure not to “slug it”, but I think I may hold off on adding any further until I get my own test kit and can confirm the test results.

Take care,
JoeyBC719FB9-4B37-46DD-A4B3-526CBF162FD1.jpeg

First off, welcome to TFP! :wave: Second, don't take any advice from the pool store. You'll regret it. :hammer: We trust YOUR testing with a TF-series test kit before anyone else - other than another TFP member. Ha.

For now, be sure to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. Add about 3-4 ppm worth of liquid chlorine each day and we'll do things the right way when you get your test kit.

Be sure to bookmark our Pool Care Basics page for lots of great info.

Thanks. I’ll add the info to my signature, I just need to identify the different components.
Post pictures of your equipment if you have any questions. It is a beautiful layout with the rock waterfall, nice large spa, etc. Include mfg. and model numbers of pump, filter, heater, etc.

Please consider the PoolMath app as that will help track you test data as well as guide you on how much chemical additions you need based on your specifics such as pool volume.