New pool/outdoor living TAMPA

bballpaul0

Oct 10, 2019
tampa, fl
Hi All - been getting quotes for pools for a few weeks and have met with 5 builders...

Wanting to do approx 16x32 pool plus spa, sun shelf and water feature (maybe sheer descent). Also looking to add covered area and do an outdoor kitchen... This project is starting to rack up in costs.
Lot of the builders have said this is a bigger pool for the area, so might drop it to 15x30 if it becomes to costly.

One item I would like opinions on is covered area. Wondering if I should do an aluminium insulated panel roof (ELITE) which all the Pool builders can do or hire a contractor that would actually tie into the roof line.

Would appreciate any thoughts! Also for any local Tampa members if you could PM any builders or contractors you have had good experiences with that would be awesome.

Hey there Paul, have you considered doing this project in stages? Pool first, then covered area and kitchen later?

You could have the conduit lines laid out during the pool build when its most convenient than just access them when ready. A nice wooden structure or one built in the match the house is always nice.

As to the size of the pool, I can't imagine that a 15x30 is all that much different in price than a 16X32? What am I missing?? I would be curious as to the depths also.

Share some bids with us if you want more opinions :)

Maddie :flower:

Hi All - been getting quotes for pools for a few weeks and have met with 5 builders...

Wanting to do approx 16x32 pool plus spa, sun shelf and water feature (maybe sheer descent). Also looking to add covered area and do an outdoor kitchen... This project is starting to rack up in costs.
Lot of the builders have said this is a bigger pool for the area, so might drop it to 15x30 if it becomes to costly.

One item I would like opinions on is covered area. Wondering if I should do an aluminium insulated panel roof (ELITE) which all the Pool builders can do or hire a contractor that would actually tie into the roof line.

Would appreciate any thoughts! Also for any local Tampa members if you could PM any builders or contractors you have had good experiences with that would be awesome.
Tie into the roof line. Our Elite roof has been nothing but trouble - deep gutters to clean, leaking a BUNCH when the gutters overflow (structural gutter between original roof and elite roof).

We just finished our pool in Pinellas last summer. We probably talked to a lot of the same builders and had the same sticker shock. We have a 15x28, plus an 8x8 spa and 8x8 sunshelf on the end of the pool, so the total length is around 38, including the spa surround. We couldn't go longer because of how we wanted it placed on our lot, but everyone thinks it's huge, and it's plenty big for us. I'll PM you with builder info.

Hey there Paul, have you considered doing this project in stages? Pool first, then covered area and kitchen later?

You could have the conduit lines laid out during the pool build when its most convenient than just access them when ready. A nice wooden structure or one built in the match the house is always nice.

As to the size of the pool, I can't imagine that a 15x30 is all that much different in price than a 16X32? What am I missing?? I would be curious as to the depths also.

Share some bids with us if you want more opinions :)

Maddie :flower:

Have not priced out the smaller pool yet and hoping not to have to. I have thought of breaking out the project but just not sure how I would go about doing that.

1. Build pool and entire deck
2. Build roof addition (approx 12x 30 or potentially 15 x30)
3. Screen enclosure
4. Outdoor kitchen

I'm guessing special footers may need to poured so I would need to know where columns would line up etc.

Finally selected a pool builder and a GC for my backyard project!
Decided to do the truss roof and have it tie-in/match my current roof. Having the same GC do my outdoor kitchen also.

14 x 30 pool (swimming area) plus 8x6 spillover spa (12" raised) and 12x7 sunshelf. There is a raised sheer descent waterfall as well.

pool pic.JPG

HI! I needed a new pool to help build! I like your design so far! Can you share more details such as depths in the pool as well as the shelf. If you list your equipment with model numbers we can look it over to make sure it is purrfect for your pool.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Depths are 3 feet to 6 feet. Most builders locally build 3 to 5 ft. I wanted to go 3 1/2 but not really an option. My wife is 5 ft tall and I have two very young daughters so the depths don't bother me too much.

Went with the heat pump since natural gas is not available. We will have all pentair equipment will have to check on specifics, but will have salt water generator, automation and color leds (one in spa, one pool, and niche in shelf). Going with artistic pavers as they are non-porous. Doing a blue pebble sheen, currently trying to figure out tile selection. PB really doesn't like to do glass tile so I am looking at standard 1x1 on the spa spillover and raised sheer and a matching 6x6 at the water line.

The roof addition and kitchen will slow the project down as it's seperate permitting and will require two different builders to communicate with each other. But I'm very excited about getting my outdoor living area.

With her being so short that 3' might work out. I will tell you to NOT try to do a full on crawl stroke as you will scrape your knuckles on the bottom at 3'.

What depth will your shelf be? Think about how you want to use it. Do you want to sit on a low chair with your bottom in the water? Do you want to sit on the shelf? Where do you want the water to hit you when you do?

With depth make sure you are talking WATER depth-the water should be in the middle of the skimmer face. Some people measure from the bottom of the pool to the bottom of the coping................not sure why as that is NOT water depth so talk to your PB about that part of it.

Spa-you will want to have some varied heights in the spa. That way every person will be able to find a spot for just what they want from the spa.

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.