New pool out of level

rob0075

Jul 11, 2020
Maryland
We are in the final stages of having a 16x32 rectangle vinyl liner pool installed. The liner was recently set in place and after adding the final amount of water we see the pool seems to be "out of level". We could spot it due to the water line not being level with the liner graphic printing. The pool company owner came by and had his guys laser level measure it. They found it to be out of level by 5/8 of an inch in 32 feet. He says there is an acceptable industry standard range of about 1/2 inch level (so out now level by 1/8" more). How should I reasonably handle this with him? Is this in fact reasonable? Are we being too picky!? A true fix would require a lot of reconstruction I would guess. When the water has some motion from wind, filter pump, etc.. it really probably won't be noticeable. Any advise would be great. Thanks

Half inch level means +/- so 1 inch total. That's not the case, a wall panel pool should be 1/4 max and 1/8" is easily done. If your not happy have him order a borderless liner and then it's solved on his dime. To fix this, is basically ripping out part of the pool. Depending how level deck is you may be able to cheat liner track with face track. Do you have a deck yet?

Half inch level means +/- so 1 inch total. That's not the case, a wall panel pool should be 1/4 max and 1/8" is easily done. If your not happy have him order a borderless liner and then it's solved on his dime. To fix this, is basically ripping out part of the pool. Depending how level deck is you may be able to cheat liner track with face track. Do you have a deck yet?
No decking yet only coping pavers. I guess I should clarify this, we had a durawall liner pool at our previous home and had lots of issues (issues with the steps, coping, and possible wall shifting) So on this house we found a builder who does concrete and rebar wall type build. We liked that option along with the option of "built in" steps and deep end bench. Cost was comparative to durawall builder.

Show me a pic of the liner track they used. If its under the coping then the coping is following the unlevel of pool unless you have a gap starting and ending where the coping is leveled. They could fix it either way by removing the section of coping where it's off and shimming the track up then reinstall replacement coping. Or hide it with borderless liner

Reactions: Aquaman7
He says there is an acceptable industry standard range of about 1/2 inch level
That's a completely made up number.

There's no such "Industry Standard".

If there really was a legitimate industry standard, it would be published by a recognized organization and the exact quote regarding the standard could be provided to you along with the publication identification information.

Any time that someone says that something is a rule, law, code, standard etc. they should be able to provide the exact document, the exact section and the exact qoute.

If they can't, it's probably not true.

In my opinion, complete quality control metrics should be provided to the customer for any type of service.

Things like level, uniformity, square etc. should be defined in the contract so that there's no misunderstanding.

In addition, the company should be able to provide actual statistics on how well they meet their stated standards.

If the customer sees a metric that they don't like, they can negotiate it as part of the contract.

What's an acceptable metric is sometimes obvious and sometimes it's a matter of personal opinion.

Plus or minus two inches is not acceptable and plus or minus 1 mm is not reasonable.

The basic standard is simply does it look right?

There are some things that stand out to even nonexperts as just being off.

If something doesn't pass the "looks right" test, it's probably not right.

In any case, when the standards are spelled out, it helps eliminate problems.

I would say that 1/4" would be a maximum out of level that would be acceptable.

Last edited:
I’m not super familiar with vinyl liner construction, but I renovate pools that are out of level all the time. Aside from @jimmythegreek suggestion of shimming the track, could they remove the track and grind or chip down the top of the wall where it is high?

On concrete pools I prefer to remove the high spots vs build up the low spots, to avoid any separation of materials down the line.

Last thing to consider: laser levels are notorious for not being calibrated. I’d suggest a water level, or just measure down from the top of the liner to the water and see how out of level the pool truly is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.