New Pool not installed yet

Feb 2, 2008
Northwest Indiana
My wife and I bought a new pool last month...got a great off season deal. It has not been installed yet. I am wondering if any of you have any opinions on just where to set it up. I have a back yard that is free of trees except for one. It is a 100 year old Maple tree that is up close to the house on the west side of my yard...When we had our smaller intex inflatable which was a 12 or 15 foot round pool sort of in the middle of the yard it provided nice late afternoon shade starting around 3 or 3:30 pm. My new pool is 24 foot round above ground...Any thoughts on the tree...Should I get someone out to top it or purne it back any...I have a few overhanging brances that go out into the back yard. Should i just put it in the middle of the yard away from the tree. My neighbor on the east side also has 100 year old oak trees right along the property line on the east side of the yard. However they mostly grow up not out like the maple. I plan on putting a 10X12 or so deck off the pool next summer. I thought about putting the pool closer to my existing deck, which is 32 X16 right off the back of my house...but that puts the pool closer to the maple tree. Any thoughts about trees and what trouble they could cause my pool? Thanks for the help!

I would hope you put the pool out of the way from the tree. Roots and leaves will cause you less problems. Sometimes the leaves can't be avoided. I would place the pool anywhere I could to avoid bothering the tree. I wish I had an 100 year old tree in my yard.

Hmmm, I see you are in NW Indiana........Ohio might be far enough away from that tree..I'm not sure!! :lol: :lol:

Seriously, the further away from ANY trees you can locate the pool, the better off you'll be. Leaves and all kinds of goodies off the tree are drawn to a pool like moths to the flame.

Hotrod30 said:
I would hope you put the pool out of the way from the tree. Roots and leaves will cause you less problems. Sometimes the leaves can't be avoided. I would place the pool anywhere I could to avoid bothering the tree. I wish I had an 100 year old tree in my yard.

It is pretty cool to have such a big old tree in the yard...It has been in the neighborhood since before any houses were build there. It was saved by the people that build my house over 70 years ago...It provides great shade on the house, and my deck. But the point is well taken...I was more worried about stuff falling in...but the roots worry me more...I think I have found a spot...we had a good melt off this weekend and I could get out into the yard to look around...It will also get the most sun there too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.