Silver Creek, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
I am struggling. I can't seem to raise my chlorine and my ph is just rising. I have the TF100 test kit.

FC is .5 maybe
PH is 8 and rising.
TA is 120
CYA is undetermined. Because I can't make the black dot disappear no matter what!

I have used pool math and added so far 4 gallons of 8.25 bleach. How am I going to get the CYA to move with this chlorine if I don't have any?

Welcome to TFP!

If the black dot doesn't disappear then you don't have any. What does your CC test show?

I don't understand what you are saying in the last sentence. Bleach doesn't add CYA, nor does the FC level affect the CYA test.

Welcome to the forum:wave:
Your post is a little confusing.

What does your water look like? Have you read "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School? Where is Silver Creek? AZ? FL? MI?

Billy,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all new TF-100 users... :testkit:

When the dot does not disappear, that is an indication that there is no CYA in the water.

If this is a new pool, then it would appear that none was added by the Pool Builder.

Without CYA, the pool will consume your chlorine/bleach at a pretty good rate, so that could be why you can't keep chlorine in the water.

It could also be that something is growing in the water and chlorine is just doing its job.

What does your water look like?

You say you have used 4 gallons of bleach, but you did not say over what period of time? What FC level are you trying to target, and how long after adding the bleach are you testing?

I suggest that you add CYA to your pool using pool math... Should need about 88 oz to bring you CYA up to 30 ppm

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Cc is 0.

- - - Updated - - -

My water is clear. I have read the ABC 's and that why I can't understand why the chlorine won't raise at all while PH IS climbing. Silver Creek is in GA.

Ok, there are two....three different problems here.

Problem #1: With no CYA, the sun is going to burn off that chlorine very quickly. If you haven't had enough chlorine in the pool, it's also possible that there is algae that is also consuming the chlorine. CCs burn off pretty quickly in the sun, it's possible that you're having an early stage algae problem even with 0CC.
Problem #2: pH is rising. Through splashing, the surface being rippled, etc. the pH will tend to rise over time. This is perfectly normal, and you will need to add muriatic acid from time to time to lower the pH to the correct range. The TA of 120 may be allowing this rise to happen faster than it would with a lower TA.
Problem #3: You have little to no CYA. You'll want to get some granular CYA from WalMart or another of your favorite stores and get that in. Use PoolMath to calculate what it would take to go from 0 to 30 CYA with your 22,000 gallon pool. If you want, we can check your math - tell us what you plan to add and we'll help you make sure it's correct.

Fixing the CYA will reduce the effects of the sun on the Chlorine. Once the CYA is set, you can perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss test and figure out if there is something else causing the free chlorine to leave the pool. We're here to help you every step.

Thank you Jim! I am the pool builder. So no it wasn't added. The water is crystal clear! So that's good. Bleach has been added over 1 week time. I will stabilizer. Thank you again!!

Don't forget not to pour the CYA into the skimmer.

From Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Solid/granular cyanuric acid (CYA) should be placed in a sock and the sock put in the skimmer basket or suspended in front of a pool return. After adding CYA you should leave the pump running for 24 hours and not backwash/clean the filter for a week. Squeezing the sock periodically will help it to dissolve faster. Test and dose chemicals in your pool assuming the amount of CYA added is in the pool according to Poolmath. CYA can be tested the day after it is fully dissolved from the sock.

I'm getting 88oz of CYA to target 30ppm for a 22,000 gallon pool. Double check your numbers if you would, though it's better to undershoot than overshoot - you can always add a little more, but have to remove water to lower it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.