New Pool... Me vs Pool Builder

dunginhawk

Bronze Supporter
Jul 10, 2018
CLIVE/IA
Good evening... With my pool (Fiberglass) going in in about a month or so I am going to have to talk to my PB about how to set up the pool chemical wise.
I have used TFP for my new hottub since Nov and its been more or less perfect.
What do you find the reaction to PBs is when you are essentially going against what they recommend, or how they set up "every other pool on the block"
Ultimately the PH, FC, etc are the same, its just there are some variances in TA/CYA that seem to pop up.

Do I let him start the pool his way, then when he leaves just modify it to suit my needs? I am doing a SWG so I shouldnt have to do much once I make the switch.

Just curious how you guys handle it.
thanks

D,

Personally, I would just let him set it up his way and let everything he says, chemical wise, go in one ear and out the other.. As soon as he turns the pool over to you, just follow the TFP way..

It is highly unlikely that you would ever be able to change his mind, so why waste the effort??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Since it is a fiberglass pool the pool builder will do very little concerning pool chemistry maintenance. I assume you will be taking care of your own pool (not a pool service) so once the equipment is all functional and they add the salt and a bit of CYA they will give it to you. Then you, using your proper test kit, can adjust the items to TFP recommended ranges and start enjoying your pool.

You may want to discuss and agree to a starting CYA and salt level before treatment. Excessive amounts of either would require draining and you wouldn't want to deal with that. Some people can taste the salt and try to avoid that by keeping the salt level as low as possible for their brand of SWG system.

Since it is a fiberglass pool the pool builder will do very little concerning pool chemistry maintenance. I assume you will be taking care of your own pool (not a pool service) so once the equipment is all functional and they add the salt and a bit of CYA they will give it to you. Then you, using your proper test kit, can adjust the items to TFP recommended ranges and start enjoying your pool.

I did exactly as stated above and it worked out fine. I had to add some CYA and salt to get in range.
Then added Borax when got everything in range. When pool company came top close pool they could not believe how good the water looked.

Knowing now what I didn't when my pool was newly filled, I'd just tell him to leave all his chemicals with you and you'll add them per our advice. This way you'll be able to see exactly what is being added and in what quantities.

Then let us go over the list before you add... we'll help ya!

Maddie :flower:

I would find out if any warranty issues are dependent on them doing the initial start up. If so, let them do it, but definately monitor what they're doing. Knowing exactly what they did will ease the transition from them to you and TFP.

I would agree though, to at least establish a max cya level with them...assuming they know what you're referring to.

Last edited:
I kind of like the idea of just asking them to leave the chemicals with me and ill do it...
They have to open i think as well. I think they charge like 250$ to open and $250 to close, so not a big deal. Im in a fairly small community and my PB has a great reputation so I think we will be fine

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We had our pool built in the fall of 2018. The builder put in stabilizer and got the levels right where they needed to be. The SWG kept everything happy. The contract included them closing up. They put in “winter chemicals” whatever the heck that means. It’s still pretty clear in there. We have a 1 year warranty on the pool good till fall of 2019. I am letting them open the pool on Apr 22at a cost of 179. That way, if they find anything wrong at all , it’s on them since they closed it. They throw in a startup pack, which I might just ask them to leave out so I can start with TFP methods.

Thank you, sir. I will make sure to follow the closing guide here once the the warranty period is over. I figured if there were any issues, it would surface in the first 12 months.

No sir, something can be dormant in the water and then ZAP!! Appears or causes problems when something else is added....

Best practice is to avoid *ever* adding mystery ingredients to your water. Only add that which you know and the reason you're adding it.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.