New Pool Looks real Blotchy

We just had ours finished with a similar condition. The pool builder called it the "fat" from the plaster. Make sure they are keeping chemistry correct. Our pool used a TON of acid for the first couple of weeks. Ours is at about 4 weeks post plaster and it is looking slightly better. Lots of brushing and maintaining a Ph of around 7.2. good luck!!!!

We just had ours finished with a similar condition. The pool builder called it the "fat" from the plaster. Make sure they are keeping chemistry correct. Our pool used a TON of acid for the first couple of weeks. Ours is at about 4 weeks post plaster and it is looking slightly better. Lots of brushing and maintaining a Ph of around 7.2. good luck!!!!
Thanks! My pool builder tried adding a lot of acid and it helped a bit but not much. Will be draining the pool and acid washing and hope that it looks good after that. I'm lucky Florida Stucco came out and told the pool builder that it is not an acceptable finish.

Reactions: carnivalday
Hi
I took one of your pics and circled an area. That is what the National Plasterers Council (when I had this problem) called normal cloud-like appearance of dark plaster dye, as the cream cannot be distributed evenly.
Also included the document from my contract.
We decided to skip the acid wash as builder said improvement might be only 50% and would shorten the life of the plaster somewhat. But was tough call and I suspect there is no "right" answer.
I do wish we had received a sample prior demonstrating the cloud-like appearance instead of the one we received which was uniform.
IMG_2436.jpeg

Attachments

• White and Colored Pool Finish Agreement.pdf
    34.6 KB · Views: 9
Hi
I took one of your pics and circled an area. That is what the National Plasterers Council (when I had this problem) called normal cloud-like appearance of dark plaster dye, as the cream cannot be distributed evenly.
Also included the document from my contract.
We decided to skip the acid wash as builder said improvement might be only 50% and would shorten the life of the plaster somewhat. But was tough call and I suspect there is no "right" answer.
I do wish we had received a sample prior demonstrating the cloud-like appearance instead of the one we received which was uniform.
View attachment 126236
Have to say that in person it looks much worse than the photos. It only looks "ok" if its windy and the water has a lot of ripples on the surface. Kind of have no choice but to try the acid wash. I will read a bunch and watch videos about how to acid wash and will be taking the day off from work when they do it and will do my best to make sure they at least do that right. Fortunately I haven't made the final payment to the pool builder and won't unless it comes out acceptable.

If you are happy then we are happy.

Go swim and enjoy your great view.

Reactions: jhbrfla
They had to do the same to mine, what is strange is it seems to be a common issue. Are PB not doing something correct so the "top" layer wears off?
My plaster guy argued with me for 4 months telling me " your chemicals aren't correct" then told me to dump 6 more gallons of acid ( PH was already at 7 ) and see what happens..Thats when I pushed back..

Reactions: jhbrfla

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They had to do the same to mine, what is strange is it seems to be a common issue. Are PB not doing something correct so the "top" layer wears off?
My plaster guy argued with me for 4 months telling me " your chemicals aren't correct" then told me to dump 6 more gallons of acid ( PH was already at 7 ) and see what happens..Thats when I pushed back..

@onBalance has written extensively about the plaster practices required for a quality plaster job. Links to them are at Plaster Installation and Maintenance - Further Reading

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.