Bronze Supporter
Mar 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all. I put up a new pool this spring and have thoroughly been enjoying it with my kids for almost 2 months now. Just today after the sunset i was swimming around in my now heated pool I might add and while submerged under water noticed a difference in contrast between the bottom of the pool liner and the sides.. The sides were definitely darker than the bottom but strangely enough it was an even line all along the bottom just at the top height of the pool cove and then it got noticeably brighter evenly across the entire bottom.
A quick online search brings me here to this site and thread a couple years ago.

As mentioned in the other thread this doesn't seem to make any sense you would think the entire liner should fade evenly and not just the bottom.
I have been following the TFP method of using stand alone liquid chlorine for the most part. On a very few occasions I have dissolved CAL Hypo in a jug and poured into the pool after heavy use above the jet with the pool pump running at least and hour or 2 afterwards.

I do usually chlorinate at the end of day by adding 500 to 750 ml of liquid chlorine(750 on really sunny days) in my 26,000 litre or 7000k Gal pool. If I miss a day I will use a whole litre . If it is cloudy that day I'll only throw 1/2 a litre in as no sun consumes less I have noticed which coincides with what I have read here.

The only logical explanation for this as I see it is that when my pump shuts off the chlorine settles to the bottom over night slowly bleaching the bottom of the liner very evenly every night.

The liner is not ruined or any thing like that and in fact I only noticed it today and only once the sun was down but noticed it none the less.

MY pump automatically starts every morning at 9AM and runs until 7:30 PM. I'm usually chlorinating around 6 PM after workish. If I miss a day and spike it with the 750 or 1000ml of chlorine I'll manually turn the pump on again for an extra hour or 2 (manually with my phone..LOL).

Problem is I leave for work at 6AM and am gone all day so I have no choice but to chlorinate in the evening. Maybe i should turn the pump on in the morning at 6 and then hit the pool with the chlorine?
I figured it would be better to let the pool sleep with the chlorine in it and let it do its thing over night.

Am I making any sense here or just talking jibberish??

Please feel free to chime in any one

It was at zero when i started and then i got it around 35 after the initial treatment and then i added a bit more..
But recently i noticed it was down a bit from the test strips and added a bit more today..
Id have to guess somewhere around 40ish based on what i have put in and factoring in evaporation and water replenishment.
Weve been getting a lot of rain here as well.

Wow that was a good guess - I used my Talor kit to check CYA today and its 38/39... first reading of 35 was from the pool store.

So has any one gotten to the bottom of why the bottoms of the liners fade?

Upon closer inspection of the quoted thread above it appears the original poster and I have the same brand of pool based on the top pieces and joining cover plates and identical liners.
If its the sun at play here I just installed a solar cover real system and will be using that much more often.. I watched 4 hours of gas heating evaporate over night and decided to put a quick stop to that, LOL

it is possible the calhypo wasn't fully disolved and settled but liquid chlorine disperses pretty well in just a few minutes with pump on. more likely the bottom is just a different run of vinyl. try to find a way to get one of the recommended test kits, guessing by volume is not a good way to measure chemical additions until you REALLY know the chemistry of your pool and you can really only do that with good testing. test strips are pretty useless.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.