New pool - just filled. So many questions.

Papabigface

Jun 30, 2019
Rialto, Ca
Hey guys. New pool owner here. First of all I’ll try to provide as much info as possible. Please let me know if I’ve left anything out.

15000 gal. Pool/spa, automatic chlorinator, pebble tec, Pentair Intelliflo pump, cartridge filter.

Pool was filled Friday morning at 5am. Called the start up guy at 9 am. Communication has been abysmal. I’ll probably post a follow up thread with more questions. At any rate I guess the start up guy came on Friday and put at least 2 gallons of muriatic acid in. And set the pump to a schedule. I’ve been brushing the pebble finish 2-3 times a day as directed. There are no chlorine pucks in the chlorinator right now. There was start up stuff dropped off days earlier... of note a bottle of “startup-tec” to be added as pool filled? Apparently to reduce plaster dust. This was never used. Again, I’ll likely have more questions, about startup chemicals, maybe even later in this thread...

My main question this minute is can my kids jump in this yet? Is it safe for the kids? Is it safe for the pool?

By the way I do have the Taylor k-2006. I’ll probably run tests now, although I am hasitant to do anything with chemicals until I can get a hold of the pool builders tomorrow. Also never done any pool testing so I’m a noob. I don’t want to void any warranty or cause problems myself.

I'm a newbie, but during the first month you're going to plow through chlorine tablets like nobody's business. One tablet per 10k gallons needs to be in there. The other thing is that your filter is going to get jammed with loose pebble, I had to clean out the drain line and spray off the filters about five days after I turned my pump on. My pool was always pH > 8 for the first five weeks, with a gallon of acid added a couple of hours before swimming on Saturday mornings.

I'm a newbie, but during the first month you're going to plow through chlorine tablets like nobody's business. One tablet per 10k gallons needs to be in there.

Note that continuous use of trichlor tablets will eventually lead to your CYA level being too high to manage.

I suggest your read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and watch

Gracias; I wanted to fill it to the max with tablets (like how I buy canned tomatoes) but was warned that it could lead to me having to drain and re-fill the pool. Chlorine is safety for the kids; if it's 0 you run the risk of ear infections and whatnot. That's my crayon enabled view vs. the experts around here. I'm in west Houston, so our water is *almost* as hard as it is where you are, I'm sure that has an impact on how fast we blow through chemicals too.

Well I’m running tests now... if I’m doing this correctly the Dpd powder didn’t turn my sample pink at all. So I assume my free chlorine is 0. Testsi g the ph resulted in a yellow that appears to be off the chart... so I assume acidic?

I do have pool math but it seems like it wants me to confirm the amounts I’m adding before it will accept a log entry?

Gracias; I wanted to fill it to the max with tablets (like how I buy canned tomatoes) but was warned that it could lead to me having to drain and re-fill the pool. Chlorine is safety for the kids; if it's 0 you run the risk of ear infections and whatnot. That's my crayon enabled view vs. the experts around here. I'm in west Houston, so our water is *almost* as hard as it is where you are, I'm sure that has an impact on how fast we blow through chemicals too.

For every 10ppm of chlorine you get from trichlor you will get 6ppm of CYA. It doesn’t matter how many tablets have in the chlorinator.

We recommend a CYA of 30-50 for a chlorine pool. That can be a month or two of trichlor usage if your pool needs 3ppm a day of chlorine.

Read TriChlor - Further Reading

Well I’m running tests now... if I’m doing this correctly the Dpd powder didn’t turn my sample pink at all. So I assume my free chlorine is 0. Testsi g the ph resulted in a yellow that appears to be off the chart... so I assume acidic?

I do have pool math but it seems like it wants me to confirm the amounts I’m adding before it will accept a log entry?

FC of 0 is not surprising. Did you read the startup guide?

i would hope your PB comes tomorrow to add chlorine.

Press the + on the middle bottom to log tests.

I would not swim in the pool yet.

------------------------------------------
Test Results 09-29-2019 @ 01:56 PM
Free Chlorine: 0.0
pH: 0.0
Total Alkalinity: 40
Calcium Hardness: 160
CYA: 0

Totally not sure if I did these tests right but I believe I did. Oh is just yellow, too low to read so I just said 0. I guess I’ll wait till the PB can talk with me tomorrow.

Should I be concerned that this sequester stuff was never added??

Yes, I read through about half of that startup guide before I saw comments on the thread. I’ll finish it now thanks.

If the pH is below the testing range log it as 7.0. If it is above the testing range log it as 8.2.

if the water is clear I wouldn’t worry about the start up tec.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.