New Pool in Leander, Texas - Gunite Done

Quick update on the changes to equipment that I discussed with the pool builder. He had never heard of issues with the Globrites, said he puts them in all the time, but had no issue swapping them out for Microbrites at no additional cost to me. So that was fine.

For the EasyTouch vs Intellicenter that was a different story. Their in-house Pentair account manager basically said they've had nothing but issues with the Inellicenter and have put it on the "do not sell" list for now. That's why they are sticking with the EasyTouch. They called their Pentair rep while we were there and she said similar. That not only were they still seeing a lot of warranty issues with them, but they are also seeing lots on supply problems with the Intellicenter. While I do like the latest and shiniest tech, I decided to just leave this one alone.

Reactions: HermanTX
Cody told me the same about the Intellicenter but none of the other builders I worked with had any concerns about the Intellicenter, but def dont blame you for going the tried and true EasyTouch.

Just an FYI on the lights. The Globrites are 700lumen and the Microlights are 500lumen. It sounds like you want to be around 4lumens per square foot. So make sure you still have adequate light with the lower lumen lights or if you need to increase the number of lights. I didnt find any PB aware of the issues with the Globrites but there are plenty of posts here and outside of TFP saying expect to replace the Globrites every 3 years or so due to water leakage.

Cody told me the same about the Intellicenter but none of the other builders I worked with had any concerns about the Intellicenter, but def dont blame you for going the tried and true EasyTouch.

Just an FYI on the lights. The Globrites are 700lumen and the Microlights are 500lumen. It sounds like you want to be around 4lumens per square foot. So make sure you still have adequate light with the lower lumen lights or if you need to increase the number of lights. I didnt find any PB aware of the issues with the Globrites but there are plenty of posts here and outside of TFP saying expect to replace the Globrites every 3 years or so due to water leakage.
Yup, this was Cody that was telling me that. They were pretty firm on it, so chose not to die on that hill.

I did think about the light difference, there were already 3 Globrites + 1 spa, I think 4 microbrites will cover me pretty well. It narrows a lot in the middle so that should help with the light coverage. I'm trying not to overthink every little detail. Also trying not to second guess everything too.

Reactions: joshlarsen
Nice, We got our Leander City approval just over a week ago. It took them 1 week and 1 day to approve it. So hopefully quick for you as well.

You can check the status at Government Permitting Software - Land Management and more. If you create an account and as long as your builder put your phone number in as the owner you can add the permit to your account and you can see more details of the status and what its waiting on as well as see what the PB submitted in the permit package and if rejected why. It will first go through a 1st review, If rejected they will add a second review and more until its approved, Once approved and all comments are cleared it will be ready to be paid and permit wont be issued till everything in the payments tab is marked as paid.

You can check the status at Government Permitting Software - Land Management and more. If you create an account and as long as your builder put your phone number in as the owner you can add the permit to your account and you can see more details of the status and what its waiting on as well as see what the PB submitted in the permit package and if rejected why. It will first go through a 1st review, If rejected they will add a second review and more until its approved, Once approved and all comments are cleared it will be ready to be paid and permit wont be issued till everything in the payments tab is marked as paid.
Unfortunately their phone verification doesn't work. I press 1 and nothing happens.

I love your design and wish you a smooth building process! Its going to be a very pretty pool and that integration with the patio will make our hot TX summers much more enjoyable.

I can't figure out how to PM, but would you be willing to share the builder you are contracted with? We are up 183 from you a bit, and have one quote in hand and possibly another one being scheduled. We have had a heck of a time getting a response from builders and would love one more name.

I love your design and wish you a smooth building process! Its going to be a very pretty pool and that integration with the patio will make our hot TX summers much more enjoyable.

I can't figure out how to PM, but would you be willing to share the builder you are contracted with? We are up 183 from you a bit, and have one quote in hand and possibly another one being scheduled. We have had a heck of a time getting a response from builders and would love one more name.
I sent you a DM!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ill add that everyone is anti puck. I mainly use liquid chlorine and a stenner pump but find that pucks are actually useful. For whatever reason, both pools I owned routinely lost CYA and not through leaks. My neighbor who exclusively used pucks had his cya at like 140, so you cant exclusively use pucks. But my cya was 40 when I left for vacation in june and when I tested last week it was close to zero. So right now Im running pucks at max flow to build my CYA again.

I have no idea why the CYA drops.

Today is material selection day. We are meeting with the builder this afternoon to pick out plaster, tile, coping, decking.

Right now we are leaning towards PebbleSheen Blue Surf. I think that will give us the look we are after. The default in the quote is a custom PebbleSheen White color the builder had made for them. I'm sure it's fine but for a small fee, it's worth going to a color we enjoy more.

I will also be talking to him about the lights as well as inquiring about the EasyTouch vs Intellicenter. Seems like I might want to upgrade that.
Sounds like you already made a stellar choice, but do not—I repeat—DO NOT get white PebbleTec, especially if you have shallow benches or swim steps/ledges. I wish someone would’ve told me before we laid white. It looks gorgeous on a sunny day, with zero sediment in the pool. Otherwise, every piece of sand is in perfect sight on the shallower parts, and you spend the rest of your pool ownership days in a pile of regret, endlessly cleaning.

Sounds like you already made a stellar choice, but do not—I repeat—DO NOT get white PebbleTec, especially if you have shallow benches or swim steps/ledges. I wish someone would’ve told me before we laid white. It looks gorgeous on a sunny day, with zero sediment in the pool. Otherwise, every piece of sand is in perfect sight on the shallower parts, and you spend the rest of your pool ownership days in a pile of regret, endlessly cleaning.
White is not what we would typically go for in any design anyway. We already settling on Blue Surf, if there is some sort of supply issue when plaster time comes we will likely pick a different blue.

That is a lot of rock. I wonder how deep it goes? It will form a solid base if it is full depth of your pool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.