New Pool in Leander, Texas - Gunite Done

Oswald

Jul 23, 2021
Leander, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Despite my trepidations, we have entered contract on a new pool build here in Leander, TX. Never owned a pool before, but wife really wanted one. So here we are. Current rough estimate is to start in September after HOA and city permits are done. Expected to be 4-5 months after that before completion.

I'll try to keep this updated as we work through the process. I'm hoping it will be relatively smooth, I chose this builder because it's the same one that has done all the pools on my street, (4 currently, it's a new street) and all had good experiences.

I expect and am prepared for delays due to shortages in materials and sub contractors. Hopefully they won't be too bad.

General Specifications
Pool Dimensions: 16'8" x 35'6"
Pool Perimeter: 95 ft
Pool Surface Area: 513 sqft
Pool Depth: 3.5ft x 4.75ft x 6ft
Spa Dimensions: 8 ft Circle
Spa Perimeter: 26 ft
Spa Surface Area: 51 ft
Spa Raised: 18 inches from deck.
Spa Depth: 3.5ft
Total Gallons: 18,156 (adjusted for tan shelf)

Plumbing
Pool Pipes: Upto 3 inch Schedule 40 PVC.
Returns: (6) Directional flush mount inlets, placed for maximum efficiency.
Skimmers: (2) Aquastar Skimmer, Indepenendently plumbed for optimum control.
Drains: (1) MDX debris removal drain, (5) 10 inch SDX, VGB compliant. - w/ Paramount Leaf Canister.
Spa Pipes: 3 inch Suction, 2 1/2 inch Return Schedule 40 PVC
Spa Jets: (6) Deluxe Therapy Jets
Spa Air: 1.5 inch dedicated air line.
Spa Drain: Aquastar Circle Drain, flush mount finish, VGB compliant
Fill Line: N/A
Overflow Line: included
Cleaner Line: (1) Independently plumbed

Materials
Pool Shell: 1/2 inch Steel Rebar on 10 inch Centers, both ways.
Pool Bond Beam: 1/2 inch Steel Rebar X 4
Concrete: Dry Mix Gunite rated to exceed APSP Building Standards
Thickness: 12" Bond Beam, 8-10" Walls/Floor All elevated/exposed walls to be 12"
Pool/Spa Tile: 6" Band at waterline, Frost-proof - Std Selection
Pool Coping: Lueder Coping
Spa Coping: Lueder Coping
Spa Facing: Custom Material
Raised Beam: 15 sqft, faced with Custom Material

Equipment
Primary Pump: Pentair IntelliFlo VSF
Feature Pump #1: Pentair IntelliFlo I2
Filter: Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge
Heater/Chiller: Pentair MasterTemp 400k - NG
Air: Blower - Jandy 1.5HP
Cleaner: Paramount PV3 w/ MDX & Leaf Canister (25 heads)
Control Box: Pentair EasyTouch PS-8
Remotes: Screen Logic Bundle (adapter & wireless kit)
Sanitizers: In-Line Chlor w/ Ultra UV Sys
Additional Actuators: 1 additional 2 actuators included with automation
Pool Lights: (3) Pentair GloBrite LED 12v - Pool
Spa Lights: (1) Pentair GloBrite LED 12v - Spa
Poured/Precast Pad: Delayed Equipment Set W/ Precast Pad

Features
Deck Jets: (3) independently valved for control.
Bubbler - 1 Nozzle: (1) Control valve included.
Spa Spillway: (1) Stone or Tile Spillways.
Pool01.jpgPool02.jpgPool03.jpg

Last edited:
Awwwright!! Fun times ahead! :snorkle: :paddle:

Looking at your equipment list I can advise you to get rid of the Chlorinator with UV. Firstly the chlorine pucks are a terrible way to chlorinate your pool because the CYA stabilizer they contain builds up too high and causes problems. Next- who needs that silly UV device in Texas?!? You get plenty of UV rays from the sun for free.
Go with a Salt Water Chlorine Generator instead. You'll thank me later.

Next No to the Globrites!! They break down routinely and to install them they make a weird permanent fitting in your pool wall that *no other* bulb will fit in. Tell the builder you want the Microbrites instead.

Next, save the cash on that infloor system. A robot is a much better option and much cheaper to buy and run. Also robots climb walls and help brush them too!

Otherwise it looks like a lovely pool to come!

Maddie :flower:

The UV system and infloor system are requirements coming from my wife. Her circle of friends have all plugged them as the way to go, so I don't think they can or will be changed at this time. But I do appreciate the suggestions.

Interesting on the lights. These are the defaults the builder specified, didn't think much of it. I will ask the builder about it.

That does look like its going to be a pretty cool pool there.

Sanitizers: In-Line Chlor w/ Ultra UV Sys
Ouch.....

Her circle of friends have all plugged them as the way to go, so I don't think they can or will be changed at this time
Double ouch lol!

I've been there, I get it. My wife always seems to have ideas in her head and when she's set, she's set, so there is no changing her mind.
Except when it would be something like an investment and selecting things that don't really work, then I would have to spin it in a way to talk her off the ledge haha!

In the end, the others before me already said it, but the UV system is not only a big ole waste for an outdoor Texas pool, but PBs really should be ashamed they are even selling them. What is one UV bulb gonna do with all that water in the Texas heat, really, anything? Haha! I'm sure no one actually would suggest this was the way to go, because they wouldn't actually know if it was doing anything, but that's my take.

In floor cleaning, or robot, its a choice for you to make, no one around here has a bad thing to say about their pool robot, more are not happy about in floor systems, but there are others who like them.

For the chlorinator, it used to surprise me why PBs install inline puck chlorinators, but I believe they do it because they do not know any better. PBs are not pool water experts by any means, and dropping a puck in a basket or the pool adds chlorine, so here you go. But all that CYA that keeps being added to the pool just isn't good. The only way to fix that issue is to drain the pool, refill, and start that all over again. I do get that not everyone is a salt water pool fan (I know it, still don't get it) and there is another choice in liquid chlorine, but pucks long run add too much CYA.

The pool light issue Maddie brought up is a good point too. The "Globrite" used to be Pentairs flagship light a long time ago. They have since updated their line and the Microbrite is the latest, and does not require any special niche or housing. They are also rumored to last a lot longer. Some PBs still go with the Globrite, but in the end, you will be better served with the Microbrite.

Looking forward to another build. I love it when someone comes out with all this info and pictures to share right from the beginning!

Reactions: HermanTX
The pool light issue Maddie brought up is a good point too. The "Globrite" used to be Pentairs flagship light a long time ago. They have since updated their line and the Microbrite is the latest, and does not require any special niche or housing. They are also rumored to last a lot longer. Some PBs still go with the Globrite, but in the end, you will be better served with the Microbrite.
Yeah, I was surprised by this info. I plan to talk to my pool builder about it when we meet on Friday. He's been pretty straight with me so far.

I just asked him about his opinion on an auto-fill (which we don't have in our build) and he gave some pros and cons and suggested instead we add a line that we can tie into our sprinkler system. I like that idea quite a lot. Avoids the major issue with an autofill hiding a leak, and also avoids dragging a hose around to fill the pool. Saves me a lot of money over an auto-fill too.

Yeah, I was surprised by this info. I plan to talk to my pool builder about it when we meet on Friday. He's been pretty straight with me so far.

I just asked him about his opinion on an auto-fill (which we don't have in our build) and he gave some pros and cons and suggested instead we add a line that we can tie into our sprinkler system. I like that idea quite a lot. Avoids the major issue with an autofill hiding a leak, and also avoids dragging a hose around to fill the pool. Saves me a lot of money over an auto-fill too.
My autofill is a zone of my irrigation system. Works great, simple, and inexpensive.

Thanks for sharing your build, I love watching these threads.. I am a newb to pools as well.. Wife wanted it so I got to keep her happy, so like you here I am.

If you just signed contract , Start time in September is pretty aggressive timeline based on my experience and other build threads I have been watching. I hope they can meet it for you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My autofill is a zone of my irrigation system. Works great, simple, and inexpensive.
Yeah. That's what he suggested and I loved that idea much more than an autofill device. I have a smart controller on my irrigation system so I would even be able to just start it from my phone.

Reactions: pjt
Hey Oswald, Were in Leander too and just started the process to building. Will start a build thread in the next couple weeks right before we start dig.

We decided to go with an autofill but I plan on putting a servo controlled valve on the line so I can run the supply from my home automation. This gives me the valve on the autofill to in theory only fill to the set full but also only run it for so many hours a day so if the valve does fail and were gone it doesnt sit and flood water for days or weeks. I know many do it but my only concern with a valve off the sprinkler system or hose bib without the autofill is the amount of time to run fill water will vary from summer to winter or hot to cold. This is my first pool so it may not be as big of a change as I think and still way more convenient that dragging out a hose to fill. Our builder was pretty reasonable for the autofill. If they weren't I might have gone straight to the sprinkler system since its just an additional zone and already has a back flow preventer.

Hey Oswald and belated Welcome !! Also thanks for letting us take your journey with you. They never get old to watch.

So here is my take on the IFCS. I’ve never had them but I’m on my 2nd house with an acres worth of lawn sprinklers. It’s really the same thing but for 2 different purposes. For the first X years, everything is awsome. Then all the moving parts rust/break and it’s a never ending struggle to maintain. One or three heads is always down. It’s enough of a pain in the yard. I can’t fathom the pain if they were 8 ft underwater. (Or 3/4/6 etc).

Then add in that you simply can’t get to the pipes when they inevitably have problems. It might take 20 years, but even if it lines up at a time you need a replaster, the work needed and the costs go through the roof.

Now factor in that you will be adding many punctures though an otherwise waterproof shell. Sure they are fine for years….. Until they aren’t.

I get, and I’m a firm believer in spending to make things easier. But that much money for something that only does 80% of the job overrides my usual thoughts. A robot for 20% the price of the cheapest IFCS, and 10% the cost of the expensive ones, will do 99% of the job. (I’ll have to put it in and press the button………. BUT !!! I will make that fun by putting him on the diving board, reading him his charges and making him ‘walk the plank’ when he had no answers or last minute stays from the governor).

But I’m also married, So #preach when none of the above matters. :ROFLMAO:

Hey Oswald and belated Welcome !! Also thanks for letting us take your journey with you. They never get old to watch.

So here is my take on the IFCS. I’ve never had them but I’m on my 2nd house with an acres worth of lawn sprinklers. It’s really the same thing but for 2 different purposes. For the first X years, everything is awsome. Then all the moving parts rust/break and it’s a never ending struggle to maintain. One or three heads is always down. It’s enough of a pain in the yard. I can’t fathom the pain if they were 8 ft underwater. (Or 3/4/6 etc).

Then add in that you simply can’t get to the pipes when they inevitably have problems. It might take 20 years, but even if it lines up at a time you need a replaster, the work needed and the costs go through the roof.

Now factor in that you will be adding many punctures though an otherwise waterproof shell. Sure they are fine for years….. Until they aren’t.

I get, and I’m a firm believer in spending to make things easier. But that much money for something that only does 80% of the job overrides my usual thoughts. A robot for 20% the price of the cheapest IFCS, and 10% the cost of the expensive ones, will do 99% of the job. (I’ll have to put it in and press the button………. BUT !!! I will make that fun by putting him on the diving board, reading him his charges and making him ‘walk the plank’ when he had no answers or last minute stays from the governor).

But I’m also married, So #preach when none of the above matters. :ROFLMAO:
I'm hearing everything that people are saying. But, and this is a big but, I am choosing to pick my battles. This is not one I'm choosing! :)

Reactions: Newdude
I'm hearing everything that people are saying. But, and this is a big but, I am choosing to pick my battles. This is not one I'm choosing! :)
I hear you!!!! I think you can review other threads where people have elected to go with an IFCS. Suggest you have a bypass put on it in case it does have issues in future (it is only cost of some PVC pipe). Also ensure that one of the zones for IFCS is for wall returns. This allows good circulation from the sides and not solely rely on the floor nozzles. This can be a comprise without really adding any cost or lost of functionality. Good Luck.

Today is material selection day. We are meeting with the builder this afternoon to pick out plaster, tile, coping, decking.

Right now we are leaning towards PebbleSheen Blue Surf. I think that will give us the look we are after. The default in the quote is a custom PebbleSheen White color the builder had made for them. I'm sure it's fine but for a small fee, it's worth going to a color we enjoy more.

I will also be talking to him about the lights as well as inquiring about the EasyTouch vs Intellicenter. Seems like I might want to upgrade that.

For me our builder did the upgrade to the Intellicenter PS8 from the EasyTouch PS8 +ScreenLogic at basically no cost because the upgrade was about the same cost as the ScreenLogic which wasn't needed with the Intellicanter.

For me our builder did the upgrade to the Intellicenter PS8 from the EasyTouch PS8 +ScreenLogic at basically no cost because the upgrade was about the same cost as the ScreenLogic which wasn't needed with the Intellicanter.
I'm hoping it's a small increase at worst. I think the EasyTouch will do what I want, but I would rather get something more current for future automation needs.

Reactions: joshlarsen

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.