New Pool in Houston, TX - Completed August 2021

The goal of brushing is to keep the dust particles in suspension to be captured by the filter. So it should decline over time as the filter captures it. You may want to backwash the filter if you have noticed the pressure increased 20% or so over the initial starting pressure. I would suggest 45 mins spent now is worth the effort to not let the dust particles settle onto to new plaster.

Reactions: travelfeedsthesoul
Fence power washed yesterday. Hopefully weather cooperates and we can stain tomorrow. We're going with a dark solid stain since our fence is about 7 years old and never sealed or stained.

Hoping it'll make for a nice contrasting background for the raised travertine wall and natural stones.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210819-090959_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210819-090959_Gallery.jpg
    474.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot_20210819-090949_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210819-090949_Gallery.jpg
    432.3 KB · Views: 75
Fence power washed yesterday. Hopefully weather cooperates and we can stain tomorrow. We're going with a dark solid stain since our fence is about 7 years old and never sealed or stained.

Hoping it'll make for a nice contrasting background for the raised travertine wall and natural stones.
Looks great! We did a dark stain for our fence as well! I need to update my post with pictures now that landscaping is done..will take pictures today and post.

Just an update for those looking for Blue Surf water color.

4 days after pool was filled, water is fairly balanced and the color is looking really nice.
Loving that Blue Surf color. The contrast of sun vs shade is beautiful. May I ask - does the color affect the overall temperature of the pool, given it is in a fairly hot climate? And, for those who have color LED lighting, does it affect the rendering of the colors? For our pool we are planning a fairly light plaster or quartscape for those reasons.

Loving that Blue Surf color. The contrast of sun vs shade is beautiful. May I ask - does the color affect the overall temperature of the pool, given it is in a fairly hot climate? And, for those who have color LED lighting, does it affect the rendering of the colors? For our pool we are planning a fairly light plaster or quartscape for those reasons.

Thanks.

I've heard in extremely hot climates with a lot of sun exposure (Houston being one several months in the year) the water does get warmer if the plaster is dark. Hence, people generally stick with light or medium colors due to this. Although, when someone prefers warmer water and want the look of darker plaster, they can still get it without much compromise.

For us, I wanted something a bit darker and wife wanted lighter. When we saw Blue Surf, we both loved it and agreed to it.

I sure the lighting will also be impacted if the plaster was dark vs light. Darker plaster won't reflect as much light as lighter plaster.

All water features ON! The linear fire pan is delayed so can't show that yet.

Fence stain turned out how we wanted it. 😀

Attachments

• 20210820_180807.jpg
    20210820_180807.jpg
    546.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 20210820_180823.jpg
    20210820_180823.jpg
    557.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 20210820_180842.jpg
    20210820_180842.jpg
    582.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 20210820_180919.jpg
    20210820_180919.jpg
    554.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 20210820_181038.jpg
    20210820_181038.jpg
    459.2 KB · Views: 88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That all looks wonderful! Which one do you like the sound of the best when it is on by it's self?

Thanks Kim. I believe the weeping walls... they're the most soothing.

I've read your other posts regarding water features and raising PH..it's true..PH was slightly elevated this morning after water features being on for nearly 2 hours yesterday evening. Went from 7.6 to 8.0. Threw 12 oz MA in there per Pool Math.

Not sure what automation you have, but I have mine set up to run all the water features, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays from 5-5:15 PM. I haven't had any issues with this schedule and the water in the lines becoming nasty. The deck jets basically only run on that schedule since they are noisy and the kids are the only ones that like them. But that's why I put them there, for the kids.

--Jeff

Awesome advice form all regarding the water features. I'm waiting on Pool School to come out and set up my automation. Currently I'm turning them on/off manually but haven't turned them on daily. I'll be sure to do that until I can schedule it. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: kimkats
Awesome advice form all regarding the water features. I'm waiting on Pool School to come out and set up my automation. Currently I'm turning them on/off manually but haven't turned them on daily. I'll be sure to do that until I can schedule it. Thanks!
Once everything is settled, you may want to update your signature with your pool equipment and automation info for future posts.
I have found it helpful to mark flow direction on your pipes because inevitably you will be out of town and something will go goofy and it is easier to explain to your spouse or kids if they can look at arrows. Also label certain pipes such as spa overflow or water feature, etc.
Everything is looking great.

Once everything is settled, you may want to update your signature with your pool equipment and automation info for future posts.
I have found it helpful to mark flow direction on your pipes because inevitably you will be out of town and something will go goofy and it is easier to explain to your spouse or kids if they can look at arrows. Also label certain pipes such as spa overflow or water feature, etc.
Everything is looking great.
As always, thanks @HermanTX!

Urgent Issue - Pool electrical wire severed.

My landscaping guys were fixing my irrigation and they needed to move some PVC pipes around to make space for a tree we wanted to plant. While doing so, they came across a PVC pipe (10" deep) and asked me what it was for.

I confused it with another PVC conduit I had an electrician install nearby for future electrical wire runs so I mistakenly told my landscaper that the PVC pipe is no longer required and they can remove it. Well, it happens to be the PVC pipe holding the electrical wire running from my main circuit panel to the subpanel for my pool, on the opposite sides of the house (and under the pool deck). They tried cutting the PVC pipe and cut the wire, so now my pool equipment is out of service, so no circulation or any power for the pumps or anything else.

The electrician said he can fix it but cannot come by until tomorrow afternoon. The pool stopped circulating this morning around 11am CST. It is currently 3PM CST so 4 hours later and my FC level is 3ppm. Will this be enough to make it thru tomorrow afternoon before we get the pool circulating again?

I'm trying to avoid Algea or anything like that. What preventative measures can I take before we get the pool equipment powered up again? Without circulation, does it help if I walked around the pool pouring a small amount of liquid chlorine?

Thanks for any guidance on this!

Neil

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.