New Pool in Houston, TX - Completed August 2021

I have a Jandy 400K Btu heater but the heater manifold was bad and so it's leaking and not working. The PB has the part ordered but it's currently on back-order so they'll come tomorrow to bypass the heater for now until they can replace the manifold. I asked a while back if they can just replace my heater since it's brand new but they said even those were back-ordered.

List ALL of your equipment in your signature with model numbers. Knowing all your equipment is more important then the length of your stone.

Low pH can damage the heat exchanger. How do you know he pH was 6.8 and not lower? I would put your PB on notice in writing as to what his guy did should the heat exchanger fail prematurely. This is where they will do things that will come back to haunt you later. You should not let them add any more MA without your supervision.

As for hanging the sock, I have an A&A in-floor cleaning system and unfortunately no returns, just the pop-up heads (which are working great, of course it's brand new so we'll see for how long). Without returns, what can I do? I just saw a YouTube video and the guy hangs the sock in the skimmer, ties it to the skimmer cover and leaves it dangling there. Is this something I can do? It's a Venturi style skimmer but I assume it would work the same for this purpose, right?

Skimmer will be ok. Make sure the sock cannot get sucked into the skimmer pipe or block it. Run your pump 24/7 while the sock is in the skimmer.

Reactions: travelfeedsthesoul
Allen - Anything I should do about my CH being 200?

Pool Math says I should be at 250-650.

CH of 200 is close enough for now.

What is the CH of your fill water? I think you are in a hard water area and if you are replacing evaporation with high CH water then your CH will rise over time. Eventually you may need to drain your pool due to high CH. So you might as well leave room for your CH to rise.

CH of 200 is close enough for now.

What is the CH of your fill water? I think you are in a hard water area and if you are replacing evaporation with high CH water then your CH will rise over time. Eventually you may need to drain your pool due to high CH. So you might as well leave room for your CH to rise.

I will check my fill water, but it most likely would be with soft water since I have the whole home water softener.

Also, how do I got 4 lbs of CYA in a sock? Or do I need to do it multiple times after the granulars in sock had dissolved?
As many socks or rounds of one sock as you need. I had 35k gallons and often needed 15-20 lbs each spring. I filled the donated sleeves from old long sleeve tshirts much to my wife’s delight.

• Haha
Ok thanks. Just add to water and pour it around the pool?
No, do not mix calcium in a small bucket of water. Calcium is exothermic and will generate heat when mixed with water to where it can cause burns or fires.

Calcium hardness can be raised with calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate. They are available in some areas as Peladow, Dowflake, Tetra Flake, or Tetra 94, often sold as a deicer by hardware stores, and some big box stores, in colder climates. Pool stores will carry either calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate under a variety of names, including Hardness Plus, Balance Pak 300, Calcium Hardness Increaser, etc.

Calcium products should be spread across the surface of the deep end of the pool.

• Wow
And to think, I would've used warm water. I guess I was confusing Borax, that should be mixed with water and then pouring it in the water. Since I don't have return jets, how should I add the Borax and water mixture to my pool?

Thanks for saving me from making that mistake Allen!

And another question...sorry to annoy anyone:

Can I add all these different chemicals (Borax, Calcium Chloride, CYA) one after another (almost at the same time), or should I wait a certain amount of time after adding each one?

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
And another question...sorry to annoy anyone:

Can I add all these different chemicals (Borax, Calcium Chloride, CYA) one after another (almost at the same time), or should I wait a certain amount of time after adding each one?

Thanks!
I always wait 30 minutes between adding different chemicals.
Also, I read that CYA in a sock can be placed in your skimmer if you do not have return jets. Assume you have an IFCS.

If you turn on your IFCS that should mix the other chemicals you pour in the pool directly.

And to think, I would've used warm water. I guess I was confusing Borax, that should be mixed with water and then pouring it in the water. Since I don't have return jets, how should I add the Borax and water mixture to my pool?

In general handle chemicals as little as possible. Broadcast solid chemicals on the pool surface or pour into the deep end except for stabilizer/CYA. Don't mix a chemical in a small bucket of water. Mix it in your pool.

Can I add all these different chemicals (Borax, Calcium Chloride, CYA) one after another (almost at the same time), or should I wait a certain amount of time after adding each one
Only chemical that you MUST wait at least 15 minutes between adding is acid and chlorine. All other pool chemicals are compatible adding one after another.

Just an update for those looking for Blue Surf water color.

4 days after pool was filled, water is fairly balanced and the color is looking really nice.
Very nice!!!!!! And in 4 days. Other new pool owners should take note of that.

Question, how critical is it to brush new PebbleSheen plaster 2x per day for the first two weeks?

I've done it only 1x per day for the last 4 days but I don't see much dust or anything, maybe it's smaller particles that I cannot visually see.

I ask because even doing it 1x per day, the entire process of brushing just once per day takes about 45 minutes. Just curious if it's worth pushing to 2x per day?

Does having an acid wash before filling help the plaster shed most of the dust? Does a pool need daily brushing if it was acid washed before fill?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.