New Pool in Houston, TX - Completed August 2021

Can we not list PB names?

4. No strongly positive or negative posts about a product or company are permitted from members with little involvement on the forum. We simply cannot determine the accuracy of your post. Further, any post for the sole reason of defaming another party or presenting only your side of a disagreement will be deleted without notice.

6. If the intent of your post can be construed as advertising or promotion of a website or product, your post will be deleted or edited without warning.

The only exception to this rule is if your post is in DIRECT response to the original posters question and it helps answer the question. Any such response to OP's question must be determined to be timely and pertinent.......again, by the moderators

Just had rebar put in today. The form was messed up near the house after it rained hard a few days ago and broke off a part of the wood stake. I was a little concerned, but the rebar guys fixed that area as per the pool layout. I provided Gatorade during the heat, and then pizza and Coke for lunch, and I think it helped when I was out there micro-managing their work, haha.

Question, looking at the rebar bends/curves (around the same area near the house; bottom left of the first image with one of the guys there), do they not curve/bend them as much as the gunite would be curved for a freeform pool? The rebar does seem to be curved, but when I look at the layout, it doesn't curve as much as the wood form does. I hope my question makes sense. Attaching a picture to see if it helps understand what I'm asking.

Also, does the rebar spacing look right? I read a couple of threads here where people say it should be only 2-3 inches apart. This is a large PB in the Houston area so I assume they do every one of their pools rebar work like this.

Rain in the forecast for the next day or so...we covered it with a black plastic sheet.

Attachments

• Rebar1.jpg
    Rebar1.jpg
    658.9 KB · Views: 69
  • RebarCovered.jpg
    RebarCovered.jpg
    531.5 KB · Views: 69
Reactions: TheoneAB
These delays with rain suck. On top of that past 3-4 days we are supposed to have rain so no workers come out. And guess what we have sunshine.

Hopefully we can get past it and your build can start up and move on.

I’m thinking of going blue Surf myself.

I just saw your post pop up with the rebar. The 2-3 inches is the clearance you want from the ground and as well as any pipes so that gunite can go around it properly.

I went around and checked and took pictures and documented with my PB so they knew I wanted it addressed.

Reactions: travelfeedsthesoul
They came out today and removed the rebar, dug out the clay, and reinstalled the rebar. They are spraying gunite tomorrow morning. I know its supposed to rain, so well see. Im sorry its taking your PB so long to spray.

From everything I have read you definitely don’t want to have it shot in rain to mess with the mixture. If you feel worried about rain definitely tell them not to. Some better advice I’m sure can be given by others.

From everything I have read you definitely don’t want to have it shot in rain to mess with the mixture. If you feel worried about rain definitely tell them not to. Some better advice I’m sure can be given by others.

Yes, we definitely won't allow them to gunite during rain. I don't think my PB would want to do it then either.

Just had rebar put in today. The form was messed up near the house after it rained hard a few days ago and broke off a part of the wood stake. I was a little concerned, but the rebar guys fixed that area as per the pool layout. I provided Gatorade during the heat, and then pizza and Coke for lunch, and I think it helped when I was out there micro-managing their work, haha.

Question, looking at the rebar bends/curves (around the same area near the house; bottom left of the first image with one of the guys there), do they not curve/bend them as much as the gunite would be curved for a freeform pool? The rebar does seem to be curved, but when I look at the layout, it doesn't curve as much as the wood form does. I hope my question makes sense. Attaching a picture to see if it helps understand what I'm asking.

Also, does the rebar spacing look right? I read a couple of threads here where people say it should be only 2-3 inches apart. This is a large PB in the Houston area so I assume they do every one of their pools rebar work like this.

Rain in the forecast for the next day or so...we covered it with a black plastic sheet.
We did the black plastic and it helped. Fingers crossed for good weather. It’s going to be beautiful!

Reactions: travelfeedsthesoul
They didnt shoot the gunite in the rain. They did the gunite on Wednesday when it as sunny. The rain didnt come until 10 hours later. Currently the pool is half way filled with rain water though. lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey guys, we've gunite scheduled for tomorrow at 7am.

The sunshelf area lost most of the dirt from the rain and re-digs. They've currently placed rebars to shape out the shelf but I'm wondering how they'll fill the large area. Can they gunite the entire sunshelf? Is there anything wrong with gunite for large areas/voids?

Thanks,
Neil

Dumb question: How does the spa fill water when it loses some to evaporation? I understand that our pool autofill would work to replace evaporated water, but not sure how the spa replaces water. Does it only replace whenever the spa jets are on and the spillway is on?

Looks like it's moving a little faster now. Of course this could be a temporary pace. LoL. Pool equipment installed today with remaining plumbing. See pictures attached.

Even after telling the subs multiple times where I wanted the equipment and that it should be at least 5 feet away from the beginning of the house, they managed to begin it only 4 feet away. I figured they'd play it safe and place it even further away . We had paid for the additional 5 foot extension of the plumbing.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20210614-180445_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20210614-180445_Gallery.jpg
    431 KB · Views: 51
  • SmartSelect_20210614-180459_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20210614-180459_Gallery.jpg
    926.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_20210614-180517_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210614-180517_Gallery.jpg
    429.3 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: TexasTomKat
One concern I do have and wanted to know what you guys have experienced in your pool builds:

Some of the torn and cut sprinkler electrical wires seem to be exposed over ground. Are these live and will they be live if they're buried later when they do clean up and decking? See picture attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210614-181352_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210614-181352_Gallery.jpg
    562.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_20210614-181412_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210614-181412_Gallery.jpg
    669.5 KB · Views: 40

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.