New Pool in Houston, TX - Completed August 2021

I would not try for a smaller grout line on the top. And I would not have them sand and smooth out that grout line.

That grout line is going to weather and erode from the water flow over it. You want a good thick layer of grout there that will hold up over time. I would let natural weathering smooth it out and not have sanding weaken it.

You are going to need to maintain the grout lines and repair any cracks in the grout . Keep a close eye on that edge.

If you let grout cracks develop you will get water behind the tiles, efflorescence coming out from your grout lines, and eventually tiles popping off. That tile looks great but will require maintenance.

Reactions: travelfeedsthesoul
Up close, it looks a little messy, should I have them sand or trim it down and re-grout for a better appearance? Keep enough grout on there but more smooth and equal throughout the length. See closer image attached.

Attachments

• 20210719_163458.jpg
    20210719_163458.jpg
    625.8 KB · Views: 63
Up close, it looks a little messy, should I have them sand or trim it down and re-grout for a better appearance? Keep enough grout on there but more smooth and equal throughout the length. See closer image attached.

No.

I still think, once plaster is done and your pool has water, it will look great, however, if this is going to bother you every time you see it, talk to your PB about options to correct it the way you want it.
My concern is that it may look worst after they try to repair it. I think they did a good job of starting from the bottom on both the spa and pool sides and work to the top. The gap will be what it is because of the tile spacing. Could it be smoother? Well there is always a risk. I like the concept that it will smooth out over time due to water flow and agree it is something you need to watch.

Every year I buy a tube of clear silicon and go around the pool edge tiles and dap any small crevices or where I see small ants trailing around.

Reactions: travelfeedsthesoul
Guys, need a little help, especially from @TexasTomKat and @kimkats (for your tile speciality please),

My spa glass tile turned out exactly how we wanted, except were unsure about the grout right on top of the spillway. My friends pool spa is a square so straight lines on the spillway, but his grout line on top of the spillway is much less, about as little as the grout between the 1x1 tiles themselves.

@TexasTomKat - Can you share a close up of your spillway top grout and what width do you think it is? Mine seems to be about 1/3 - 1/2 inch, maybe 1 CM to be more precise.

My PB said he can put in a work order to demo the spillway tile and redo it to have less grout, but I'm not sure if it's something they can actually do on a rounded spillway, compared to the straight line spillway my friend has. What do you guys think...should I have them break off the glass tiles on the spillway or just have them smooth/sand out the grout on top?

The reason my grout looks messy is because the day they finished it, it was going to rain hard, so they put a plastic sheet on top, which of course smeared the grout flat and around, causing it to dry looking messy.

The image with the red arrow is my spillway grout. I'm attaching my friend's spillway image here too.

Thanks for all the help!
Yours looks very similar to ours. The tile contractor explained that it could be filed ever so slightly to promote even flow over the edge. Ours flows perfectly, however It really isn't the spillway that we thought that it would be. I't not a gushing flow, more like a trickle with no waterfall effect.

IMG_5127.JPGIMG_5126.JPG

Reactions: HermanTX

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Yours looks very similar to ours. The tile contractor explained that it could be filed ever so slightly to promote even flow over the edge. Ours flows perfectly, however It really isn't the spillway that we thought that it would be. I't not a gushing flow, more like a trickle with no waterfall effect.

View attachment 357598View attachment 357591
Thanks for sharing the pictures. Yes, looking at yours and comparing to mine which is very similar, it helps me appreciate that they need to work from the bottom of the waterline tile and up (like @HermanTX said above), leaving that small amount to be exposed grout. My buddy's spa was square and probably just aligned up naturally to where the sloped tiles and vertical tiles came together for less grout.

Reactions: HermanTX
I'm still working from home, so I was on a call and didn't realize the tile guy was already in my backyard ripping up the first 5 rows of glass tile on the spa spillway. I heard the chipping tool he was using and ran out there but was too late...he had already broken 1/4 of the area he intended to take off. My wife and I were going back and forth on if we want to demo or not, but after reading all your advice, we were going to just pass on it and live with it.

Anyways, he's out there working right now and explained to me how he'll put a very small space between the first 5 rows to move them higher and align the row of tiles on the very top of the slope to the vertical tiles inside the spa. I'll post the pics when he's completed.

Reactions: TexasTomKat
I'm still working from home, so I was on a call and didn't realize the tile guy was already in my backyard ripping up the first 5 rows of glass tile on the spa spillway. I heard the chipping tool he was using and ran out there but was too late...he had already broken 1/4 of the area he intended to take off. My wife and I were going back and forth on if we want to demo or not, but after reading all your advice, we were going to just pass on it and live with it.

Anyways, he's out there working right now and explained to me how he'll put a very small space between the first 5 rows to move them higher and align the row of tiles on the very top of the slope to the vertical tiles inside the spa. I'll post the pics when he's completed.
Well he has a plan which is great. It appears it may work out. Based on what he did initially he takes pride in his craft.

The new grout and tile vs old causes a slight visual difference for now, but once the grout dries and lightens and I can clean off all the tiles, it should look the same. I'll post a close up once ready.

For now, here's a picture of the deck concrete recently poured. About 17'x18' of concrete on each side, and all in including the existing patio of 120sqft, total of about 870 sqft concrete around pool. This will be topped off with spray texture with a light greige color.

Attachments

• 20210723_150822.jpg
    20210723_150822.jpg
    502.7 KB · Views: 48

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.