Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi All,

We plan to start excavation next week. We're reviewing the builder proposed equipment list below, while reading the very helpful threads here on TFP.

Pool will be 34' x 17' rectangle with 9' x 7' spa on the side. Two 12" sheers and a bubbler on the sun ledge. SWCG and Dolphin robot added after reading TFP, ozone generator will likely be removed.

Just read a thread related to the Pentair IC40 SWCG that mentioned actuators. Do we need to add those? Do we still need the Automatic In-Line Chlorine/Bromine Feeder?

Is there anything obviously missing, or maybe good to consider? Thanks very much in advance! Happy holidays :)

Pentair IntelliFlo VSF Pool Pump 011056
Pentair PA220GF 2 Pole Circuit Breaker, 20A - Intelliflo (qty 2)
CMP - Union Threaded 2" MPT x 2" Slip for IntelliFlo & WhisperFlo (qty 2)
Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 Cartridge Filter 160301
Trade Grade Pentair MasterTemp 400,000 BTU Heater 460736
Pentair 601012 IntelliBrite 5g Color LED Pool Light - 100 Foot Cord - 12 Volt (qty 2)
Pentair 640132 IntelliBrite 5g Color LED Spa Light - 100 Foot Cord - 12 Volt
Hayward SP0600U DuraNiche PVC Large Lighting Niche; 3/4 - 1 Inch Socket; 45 Deg; Top or Rear Mount (qty 2)
Pentair - 79206600 Small Plastic Niche for Concrete Installation
Pentair 619963 300 Watt Transformer
Pentair - 619962 100 Watt Transformer; 12 -14 V
Pentair - ScreenLogic 522104 Interface for mobile digital devices
Pentair Automatic Water Filler T40FB - Fluidmaster Valve - Almond
Silencer 1.5 HP 240V Air Blower - 6315241
Super-Pro 23301-000-000 Hydrotherapy Jet Body (qty 7)
Super-Pro 25575-509-000 Water Stop Adaptor, Clear (qty 14)
CMP - Eyeball, 1in. Opening, Gray (qty 12)
AquaStar 10AVR103 10 (qty 4)
Paramount 004-202-2230-08 Superflow 360 Degree Color Match Drain; 384 gpm, Light Gray
Pentair - Rainbow 320 Automatic In-Line Chlorine/Bromine Feeder
Paramount Clear O3 Ozone Generator, 120/240V
CMP 25577-131-000 Natural Wonders Waterfall 12 (qty 2)
Pentair - 263026 Three-way Diverter Valve with 2" CPVC Pipe (qty 4)
Pentair - 263027 Two-Way Diverter Valve CPVC 2" - 2-1/2" outside slip (qty 2)
Pentair - 263042 Check Valve with 2" CPVC Pipe - Straight 2-1/2" Slip Outside
Super-Pro SP0801-20H2 Corrosion Resistant Check Valve
TradeGrade Pentair 1.5HP ALMOND SUPERFLO VST VARIABLE SPEED PUMP
CMP 25503-001-000 Bubbler For Natural Wonders Pool Fountains, Gray
Pentair - 520545 EasyTouch 8 Function Control Pool/Spa Combo with IC40
Pentair - 520588 IntelliChlor
Pentair - IntelliChlor Acid Washing Kit
MAYTRONICS Dolphin S200 Robotic Cleaner
Waterway Renegade Venturi IG Skimmer - Gray With Beige Lid (qty 2)
Waterway - 540-6707 Volleyball / Umbrella Pole 1.5

Last edited:
Joey,

Other than removing the Ozone and Tab-feeder, I don't see anything that pops out at me..

I have EasyTouch systems with ScreenLogic and they do everything I need. I love them... That said, if I were to build a new pool today, I would get the the newer IntelliCenter.

The cost is about the same and the IntelliCenter is a much newer design, with a color display and built in ScreenLogic-like system. Either will work, but the IntelliCenter is just better.

You will need at least two actuators so you can switch between the pool and spa modes.. You most likely want one or two more to control any water features you might have. Actuators come with a lot of the different EasyTouch/IntelliCenter packages..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Do we still need the Automatic In-Line Chlorine/Bromine Feeder?
Really not needed if you have SWCG. You will use Liquid Chlorine if SWCG not working or if temperatures drop below operating conditions for SWCG. You can always use a floater for pucks. I have used a floater for years with no issues and kept FC levels as required. The unit only confuses the plumbing set up and costs about $90.

CMP - Union Threaded 2" MPT x 2" Slip for IntelliFlo & WhisperFlo
This references to a WhisperFlo pump which I assume is for your water features however I do not see the WhisperFlow pump listed as a separate line item. I personally like that your water features have their own circulation system (suction line, pump and return) but some use their main IntelliFlo pump to do that. Need to clarify with PB.

Waterway Renegade Venturi IG Skimmer - Gray With Beige Lid
I always like 2 skimmers because wind has as much to do with surface debris movement as does water circulation. You may want to consider that.

Reactions: JoeyBagODonuts
Really not needed if you have SWCG. You will use Liquid Chlorine if SWCG not working or if temperatures drop below operating conditions for SWCG. You can always use a floater for pucks. I have used a floater for years with no issues and kept FC levels as required. The unit only confuses the plumbing set up and costs about $90.

This references to a WhisperFlo pump which I assume is for your water features however I do not see the WhisperFlow pump listed as a separate line item. I personally like that your water features have their own circulation system (suction line, pump and return) but some use their main IntelliFlo pump to do that. Need to clarify with PB.

I always like 2 skimmers because wind has as much to do with surface debris movement as does water circulation. You may want to consider that.

I just updated quantity, where more than one, in my original post. Thanks for the helpful info!

Last edited:
Joey,

Other than removing the Ozone and Tab-feeder, I don't see anything that pops out at me..

I have EasyTouch systems with ScreenLogic and they do everything I need. I love them... That said, if I were to build a new pool today, I would get the the newer IntelliCenter.

The cost is about the same and the IntelliCenter is a much newer design, with a color display and built in ScreenLogic-like system. Either will work, but the IntelliCenter is just better.

You will need at least two actuators so you can switch between the pool and spa modes.. You most likely want one or two more to control any water features you might have. Actuators come with a lot of the different EasyTouch/IntelliCenter packages..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

We will likely go with the IntelliCenter i8PSIC40 kit from the link you shared. The kit comes with two actuators. Naive question, if we don't use an actuator for the 12" sheer or bubbler, how else would we turn those on/off?

Thanks!

Joey

Last edited:
Jim,

We will likely go with the IntelliCenter i8PSIC40 kit from the link you shared. The kit comes with two actuators. Naive question, if we don't use an actuator for the 12" sheer or bubbler, how else would we turn those on/off?

Thanks!

Joey
The sheer or bubblers should have valves on each line which can be operated manually, but the actuator replaces the valve handle and goes on top of the values to allow the automation to control them via electricity.

Joey,

Your plumbing directs what water goes where by using Jandy style valves.. These valves look like this..

These valves come in 3-way valve and 2-way valve... They have a handle on the top that allows you to manually turn them..

An actuator mounts to the top of the valve in place of the handle.. The actuator electrically moves the valve based on the input it receives from your automation. As a minimum, you will need two actuators to control the Intake and Return valves, which switch your plumbing between the pool mode and the spa mode. They look like this...

It is optional, but suggested, that you use additional actuators to control special water features.. I would install an actuator on any waterfall and/or bubbler plumbing..

The standard automation system can control 4 actuators .. Intake, Return, Valve A, and Valve B..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'm finding that upgrading from EasyTouch(R) 8SC-IC40 to IntelliCenter i8PSIC40 is about $750 extra. The sales rep said this would be more useful if I plan to add more water features and light features, because Intellicenter is expandable. We don't plan to do this, so most likely staying with EasyTouch.

I'm finding that upgrading from EasyTouch(R) 8SC-IC40 to IntelliCenter i8PSIC40 is about $750 extra. The sales rep said this would be more useful if I plan to add more water features and light features, because Intellicenter is expandable. We don't plan to do this, so most likely staying with EasyTouch.
That doesn’t seem right. When I requested my PB install IntelliCenter instead of EasyTouch, he said the price difference was nominal and didn’t even ask for more money from me. I would ask for the itemized cost of EasyTouch + Screenlogic vs IntelliCenter. Make them spell out the costs and we can sanity check it here. PBs don’t like change. My guess is they just want to install what they’re used to. IntelliCenter is worth it. It shouldn’t be $750 more.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
HEY neighbor!! I would for sure get the SWG! We do not have one and for sure on our next pool will! Whenever you get the pool going Atwoods has the cheapest pool bleach I could find around here. Also if the builder does "country designs" please reconsider.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.