New pool: how often to test to get pH corrected?

PoolNewbRN

Feb 26, 2021
DFW, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
New pool is finally done & filled! 🏊‍♀️ I’m using my TF-100 kit for daily tests, but we can’t get pH down, FC up, & CYA consistent.

pH-consistently 8.2. Can’t find Muriatic acid, so have been adding dry acid per pool math. I know our water features/kids splashing can raise pH, but how often should I check it & add more acid? Is it ok to just check the pH or do I also need to check the TA each time? (I get the relationship, just trying to save time/testing)

FC-1.5 pool store hasn’t had liquid, have been using dichlor. I was advised not to shock d/t new plaster. Have been adding per pool math instructions.

CYA- 35 today, was 50 yesterday. Added stabilizer on Friday per pool math which is how I got it to 50 but now it has dropped. I’m wondering since I use dichlor right now (which adds CYA?)

any advice?
==========================================
Family Fun Pool
------------------------------------------
Build Type: Plaster
Volume: 11600 gallons
==========================================
Chemical Addition 07-18-2021 @ 12:55 PM
+ 40 Ounces of DryAcid

Chemical Addition 07-18-2021 @ 12:54 PM
+ 9.8 Ounces of Dichlor

Chemical Addition 07-17-2021 @ 10:05 PM
+ 10 Ounces of DryAcid

Chemical Addition 07-17-2021 @ 10:48 AM
+ 42 Ounces of DryAcid

Chemical Addition 07-17-2021 @ 10:46 AM
+ 42 Ounces of DryAcid

Chemical Addition 07-17-2021 @ 09:54 AM
+ 11 Ounces of Dichlor

Chemical Addition 07-16-2021 @ 11:39 AM
+ 5.6 Ounces of Dichlor

Chemical Addition 07-16-2021 @ 11:29 AM
+ 2 Gallons of LiquidStabilizer

Chemical Addition 07-16-2021 @ 11:17 AM
+ 2 Pounds of DryAcid

You have just 3 primary chores right now:
1. Confirm the CYA. It doesn't drop drastically in 24 hrs, so it's probably just getting used to the test and when you feel the dot disappears. But repeat the CYA test to gain consistency (an average) and that's your CYA.
2. Balance the FC to that CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. Right now, with an FC of only about 1 ppm, you're a prime candidate for algae. You need to find liquid chlorine. The pucks and bags of shock will increase your CYA and require even more FC. Check all the home improvement stores for their liquid chlorine. If all else fails, use regular bleach.
3. Adjust the pH with muriatic acid as much as needed when it hits 8.0. Dry acid can cause problems over time. Ideally your want the pH somewhere in that 7.6-7.8 range. I get my MA from Home Depot, but you'll have to just call around.

The TA can be addressed later once you gain confidence with the top 3 items above. CH is what it is based on your water hardness. But we can come back to those a bit later.

Last edited:
Test FC and pH daily until you understand your pool's needs. TA can be tested weekly.

Look for HDX Chlorinating Liquid (10%). You'll need to visit the store to check stock.

Here's a link for Muriatic Acid. This is full strength 31.45%. Shows in stock at your store.

I just reread your first post and see your store doesn't have pool chlorine in stock. Look for plain, scent-free, non-splashless bleach if you can't find "chlorinating liquid" or "liquid shock." Stay away from Clorox with it's CloroMax technology.

Reactions: PoolNewbRN
Got the muriatic acid today (been using up the dry acid for now), haven’t been able to find liquid chlorine so have been using 7.5% bleach. CYA is right around 65, pH 7.6-8.2, but FC is consistently low like 1.5-2.5. I add the recommended amount of bleach & acid every day. What am I doing wrong? I’m worried because the pool has been full for 1 week & I don’t want to cause long term problems due to my ignorance. Please advise!

There are no test results in your Poolmath logs. Please log your test results and save them in Poolmath. Hard to give guidance if we do not know your test results.

I’m an idiot & didn’t realize I could log the results!! :oops: I was pressing each test on that overview screen & entering the amount & adding the chemical it recommended. I went back & added a couple of days but I don’t have every days logs unfortunately. I was scribbling on random pieces of paper.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As you have been adding dichlor, your CYA is now greater than your last test. Assume it is 50? If so, your target FC is 8 ppm. You just added 4.8 ppm FC, plus the 1.5 ppm you tested, to get to 6.3. Try to target at least 8 ppm each day.

If you are losing that much FC each day, you have organics or your CYA is not the level you think it is.

Hmm. By organic you mean like leaves, etc in the pool? There really hasn’t been much. I checked CYA on Wednesday or Thursday & it was 65 or so. I’ll see if I have those results in my purse lol. Do you suggest I add more bleach than pool math days for a couple of days to see if I can get FC up?

If CYA is 70, then you are not even close to raising your FC high enough each day. Target is at least 10 ppm.

You're doing great. No need to use up the dry powders; you can set those aside - they keep. Stick to only liquid chem additions.

I only check pH around once per week, but my water is quite stable. You'll get the hang of it with the muriatic. Stay upwind and protect your eyes from splashes. Rinse off any splashes on skin at early opportunity, but no panic, just rinse well soon.

Same on chlorine, no more powder or solids.

On CYA, when they mention "repeating the test", you can pour the water you just looked down through, back into the mixing vial. Then pour into the viewing tube again as you watch for the dot to go obscure. Then pour back into mixing vial. Test again. As many times as you like. That is to say, repeating doesn't ean you have to mix up a new test solution. CYA testing once a week is heaps. Once a month is around normal.

Reactions: PoolNewbRN
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.