New pool full of water, starting SLAM.

TigerFanatic1

Jun 1, 2019
Louisiana
Contractor filled pool 2 days ago, then added shock and 5 chlorine pucks yesterday with cloudy water.

Got up this morning, back-flushed sand filter with very little sign of fouling. Ran water tests with 7.5 FC, 0 CC, 0 CYA, 7.2 PH, 200 TA, and 300 CH. I was surprised at the CYA results since he added pucks. I added 4 lbs. of acid for CYA and 3/4 gallon of liquid Bleach. Plan to start S200 this evening.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
With fresh water you should not need to SLAM.
Add CYA, aka stabilizer, using the sock method. The 5 pucks will add a small amount of CYA. Account for that and target 40 ppm CYA.
Can you add a pool volume to your signature.

TigerFanatic1

Jun 1, 2019
Louisiana
Pool math said to add 6 lbs, but all I really know is that it is less than 20, so I started with 4 lbs. should I just get my CYA up and leave FC in recommended range? I overlooked the sock method, will definitely use it going forth. How long should I wait to recheck water?

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
If you added CYA directly to the skimmer, you need to wait at least a week prior to testing for it.
You do not show what type filter you have, but do not clean/backwash your filter for at least a week either.

TigerFanatic1

Jun 1, 2019
Louisiana
I added it to the deep end, just spreading it around. Yeah, I need to go out there and get the rest of the equipment’s information. Will it hurt to use the Dolphin S200?

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
If you added the CYA into the pool directly, be sure it is all dissolved. It will stain your liner --- will look like freckles.

You can run the S200.