New pool, first test.

jrogers4649

Sep 30, 2019
Westminster, Massachusetts
Good afternoon. I have a new pool that was just installed with trucked in water. I'm not sure where to start. I've taken care of a chlorine pool before. Now I have SWG. Pool guy added shock, CYA and Alk up. He added too much alk.

Anyhow here are my numbers. I've read a bunch and know a bit about these things. But I'm not sure having if salt extra high is affecting other tests. Salt is high and Alk is high. CYA is a bit on the high side also. I asked the pool guy what he added but he hasn't replied yet. Calcium is low.

My well water is crappy so hoping to not replace too much water with it.

Fiberglass pool ~12000 gallons.
SWG Auto Pilot Digital Nano Plus

FC 3
No combined chloramines (haven't really used the pool yet).
pH 7.8
Calcium 100
Cya 90
Alk 190
Salt is about 4600.

Pool math says to use acid to decrease pH to 7.2 and then aerate to bring pH up for alkalinity reduction. I need to add calcium. Would adding calcium affect any of the alkalinity?

I could increase my salt generator output to increase chlorine since stabilizer is a bit high. I guess I'm just not sure what to do first.

Last edited:
Fiberglass pool ~12000 gallons.
SWG Auto Pilot Digital Nano Plus
Hello and congrats on the new SWG!

Can you add your pool, equipment and test kit details to your signature please? Thanks!

FC 3
No combined chloramines (haven't really used the pool yet).
pH 7.8
Calcium 100
Cya 90
Salt is about 4600.

Pool math says to use acid to decrease pH to 7.2 and then aerate to bring pH up for alkalinity reduction. I need to add calcium. Would adding calcium affect any of the alkalinity?

I could increase my salt generator output to increase chlorine since stabilizer is a bit high. I guess I'm just not sure what to do first.
I don't see TA listed?
I would aim for PH/7.4 so as not to overshoot

Can you run the diluted CYA test?

ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Adjust your SWCG to generate at least 3 ppm FC per day. You can use Poolmath or fill out your signature with details and we can help.

Keep pH in the 7's. TA will take care of itself. Test it so you have the value to use in Poolmath.

Also -- do not let the pool guy add anything. Or you will be chasing your tail all summer. Handle the chemicals yourself.

I fixed the TA (sorry missed typing that in). It's 190. I also added info to my signature. I won't let the pool guy add anything else. He added the chemicals when the day after pool was installed when I was at work. I just asked him what he added. I don't think things are too far off. Oh a couple things I need to add to signature in a minute (TF-100 test kit and Dolphin Trition PS vacuum). I only have the CYA test in the TF-100 test kit.

Reactions: splashpad

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.