New pool & equipment expectations

ciaka

Jun 10, 2020
Austin, TX
We are building a pool. Still have about 4 weeks to all finished.
Equipment was installed.
During selection, we relied on builder to select equipment (not sure if was good idea, but that's what we did).

Equipment is:
- 2 pumps (variable speed)
- 2.0 x 1.13 HP Jandy pro series plus HP switch less Model 193987XCN - features + spa
- 2.7 x 1.0 HP Jandy pro series epump - main pump Model VSSHP270AUT
- Jandy pro series CV460 filter
- Delta UV D-80 filter
- Nature 2 Fusion mineral/trichlor feeder
- Raypak P-R406A-EN-C water heater

Really hoping we did not mess up by allowing pool designer choose those.

1. Hoping that someone can chime in on what we should expect in terms of water maintenance based on the equipment. Esoecially, expectations if the UV filter will help reduce chemical use, maintenance, etc.

2. I have ead about tri chlor feeder and DyA. That feeder has tabs slot, but also has some second filter, a mineral sanitizer. Is that going to be helpful for water maintenance? Trying to figure out that mineral filter use. Read reviews and some say great, others say useless.

3. Overall, hope we can get an idea from you experienced folks, about general expectations on maintaining good water conditions, based on what we purchased. What will be pain in the a.., what should we watch out for, etc.

Really hope we did not screw up bad with the choices.
Thanks for any help here.

Last edited:
Good morning! :wave: In hindsight, you could've done without the UV and the Fusion. We get enough TX sun to serve as free UV so that's basically not needed. The Fusion though ..... usually I think of their mineral pack systems that add copper. Is this strictly a chlorine tab feeder? No mineral packs? If minerals, don't use the packs. If it's just a tab feeder, you may use it "briefly" if your CYA isn't too high, but remember chlorine tabs increase CYA so you will be switching to liquid chlorine to maintain your daily FC level.

How's your relationship with your PB? Any chance he would take back the UV and feeder? As Pat points out, you'll need to stop using the feeder after a bit. Your water will accumulate CYA from the tabs, and once it reaches the recommend level, you'll need to stop using tabs and switch over to liquid chlorine use only. And then maybe use the feeder very sparingly, like when you leave for a day or two. You do want CYA in your pool, but not more than the recommenced amount. The UV is sanitizing your water, technically, but it won't replace the use of chlorine, you'll still need to keep the recommended amount in your water. So it's not actually needed. UV is more appropriate for an indoor pool, which gets no sunlight. So both gizmos, while neither harmful if used appropriately, are not giving you any real value.

A lot of us here use SWGs in our saltwater pools. For reasons we are not 100% sure about, PBs in TX are anti-saltwater pools and SWGs. Their excuses for that are not founded, on that we are sure about, but if you asked your PB to swap out the UV and feeder for an SWG you'll likely hear some of those excuses. Anywho... based on what I've studied here, that'd be my suggestion to you. If that doesn't sit well, with you or the PB, that's fine. The UV is not doing you any harm... And the feeder will get limited use.

It is tab feeder and mineral cartridge from what I saw online.
Has two compartments. One to put in tablets (one which has settings 1 through 5 on top), and another compartment for mineral cartridge. Havent seen replacement prices, but something tells me it will be steep.

.... Is this strictly a chlorine tab feeder? No mineral packs? If minerals, don't use the packs. If it's just a tab feeder, you may use it "briefly" if your CYA isn't too high, but remember chlorine tabs increase CYA...

Yes, as I am getting ramped up on pool maintenance, I learned that liquid chlorine ou s rgeway to go to keep CyA in check.
Learned about unstabilizdd tabs, but those wouldn't be safe in regular chlorinator.

Do people rig up some liquid chlorine adding to equipment? Seems to me it should be easy.

My PB is good. Have good rapport. Have been bugging construction mgr throughout process so far, as some items are hardto fix one certain stage is reached. Thus far, I havent allowed that to happen.
I dont know if they willtake equipment back. Can ask, but doubt. They ripped boxes up and set pipes already.

One guy from builders told me CyA does decrease over time too. Havent seen info on it here yet. BS?

CYA decreases by splashout, backwash, overflow, etc. Anytime you take CYA laden water from the pool and add fresh water.

CYA will also degrade about 3-5 ppm per month. We recommend you test CYA monthly, when using liquid chlorine or SWCG, to see if it needs adjustment.

There are a number of liquid chlorine dosing systems discussed here on the forum. Search 'Stenner' and lots of threads will be shown.

I just emailed my builder about changes. We will see what he says.

Just to clarify, is swg a salt water generator used in salt pools only?
Or is swg be used in chlorine pools too, to supplement chlorine use?

All pools are salt pools and chlorine pools (excluding biguanide and bromine, but I digress). Some pools have a slighter higher salt level and a device called a Salt Water Chlorine Generator that creates chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you have to live with the Fusion tab feeder the least you can do is remove the cartridge - you don’t need copper in your pool and an in-line sanitation doesn’t make sense in open systems where contamination gets directly into the water. You still will be able to feed the tabs if you need to. There are a few threads on how to remove the cartridge, here is one of them: Remove Nature2 Cartridge

I briefly looked at the article about nature2 and cartridge removal.
Why do folks on here recommend to remove it, but pool builders sell it? What is the discrepancy? Why not use the cartridge until it runs out, then just leave the cartridge not replaced? Thinking out loud.
Also, read few places that folks loved the feel of the water with the cartridges used. What is the reality here on water feel?
Thanks for teaching.

Cartridges add copper which can stain pool surfaces and turn hair green. If you are willing to have those as potential consequences for no added benefit to speak of, then yes, keeping it is fine. Our view is that is a bad trade-off. PB's make money on the initial sale and sale of the replacement cartridges. Copper doesn't change the feel of the water, salt does. You can use liquid chlorine and add salt to get the salt content up faster to get the feel they are speaking of. But by far the best suggestion for long term use is to chlorinate using a SWG, followed by a liquid chlorine injection system such as a Stenner pump mentioned above.

Further - Copper is an aglaecide. Algaecides are completely unnecessary in normal pool maintenance. There can be some benefit at closure when used by those who close their pools but that's not the discussion here, nor what that system is for. It's designed as a money maker that can also help pool owners who can't properly sanitize their water (do to not understanding basic water chemistry) and need a slight safety net (algaecides don't kill algae, but work at keep it from getting started), albeit one with major consequences over time.

Why do folks on here recommend to remove it, but pool builders sell it? What is the discrepancy? Why not use the cartridge until it runs out, then just leave the cartridge not replaced
Builders and pool stores get to profit from selling you things that add harmful elements to your pool, and then charge you even more for magical potions that only make it worse. We then get to clean up the mess and help you fix it for nothing else besides good will.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.