New pool design finalized. Open to suggestions.

I am currently getting the Easytouch 4 installed with the pool. I would like to be able to turn the spa on when I am not home. I know the spa would require two relays and valve actuators to make that happen as far as the plumbing goes. The easytouch 4 should be able to handle this right? I'm not worried about automating the deck jets or lights. It's my understanding I can just put the lights on a schedule through the Easytouch.

You will need to add Screenlogic2 to the ET.
I got that part. I'm just wanting to make sure that I only need two actuators and two relays to make that happen. I don't think I'm going to let the PB do that part because they are trying to bump me to the Easytouch 8 which I don't think I will ever need. I plan on adding Screenlogic and actuators later once the pool is up and running and we have had time to normalize our finances. lol I just want to make sure the Easytouch 4 will do everything I need.

The ET needs to be the Pool/Spa unit, not the single body unit. The actuators do not use a relay.

Two actuators are needed. The Pool/Spa ET unit comes with the actuators.

Great. If you wish to automate your deck jets, you will need to get an additional actuator. The system can accommodate that.

Ok guys. I need some help again because the PB threw out another variable last night. lol He mentioned he can put in all Hayward equipment versus the Pentair for the same price and that the Hayward Variable speed pump etc comes with the automation app and you do not have to pay for it separately like adding the Screenlogic with Pentair. I do like the idea of the Hayward heater because it has the Cupro nickel exchanger. I would want to have every component be all of the same brand.

1. Does the Hayward system actually not need any additional equipment to use your app to control everything?
2. Would the Hayward app be able to control my Pentair Intellibrite 5g lights?
3. Do you guys have any preferences towards the heater, pump, and SWG offered by both brands?

M,

In my opinion, you are stepping down to use Hayward equipment... I apologize to all the Hayward lovers in advance... :mrgreen:

If you are building a new pool, why in the world would you put in an old automation system... Although the EasyTouch is a great system, the Pentair IntelliCenter is even better and it comes with a build-in remote controller similar, but better than ScreenLogic.. All for about the same price..

An app can't do anything unless there is a system in place that can turn things on and off, move valves, control lights, etc...

If you use and maintain your water per the TFP process there is no reason to have a "Cupro nickel exchanger."... You are going to have a SWCG, so there will be not be any low pH and acidic tablets to destroy your heater..

That said, no matter what system you get, make sure the Automation, the VS pump and the SWCG are all the same brand.. It does not matter what brand you use for the heater or filter..

Good luck with you decision..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
.It does not matter what brand you use for the heater or filter..

However if you get at least 3 pieces of Pentair equipment on the same invoice your warranty becomes 3 years rather than 1 year. That is a reason to get pump, IntelliCenter with IC40 bundle , and filter all from Pentair.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
However if you get at least 3 pieces of Pentair equipment on the same invoice your warranty becomes 3 years rather than 1 year. That is a reason to get pump, IntelliCenter with IC40 bundle , and filter all from Pentair.
That was definitely one of my considerations. I think I am just going to stick with the Pentair equipment since I have done all of the research on their equipment up to this point.

Long time no see guys. Work has been crazy and weather and the holidays have slowed progress on the pool. We finally received our tile and found that it was not the correct tile that we ordered. That set us back another week! Finally got the tile and coping installed in one day and are waiting for a break in the rain to form and pour our decking.

We went with Artistry in Mosiac's Azure Twilight series 1"x 2" tiles instead of the Lightwaves Blue to it wouldn't be an overload of bling. We are very happy with the color of the tile with the ivory travertine. The only issue is the spa spillover wall is not a smooth transition from the top of the wall to the face of the wall on both sides. I think they made the wall too thick to butt up the tile. I am wanting to try and get this to look more like a seamless wall since it is one of the main focal points of the pool. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_3490.JPG
    IMG_3490.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_3495.jpg
    IMG_3495.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_3498.jpg
    IMG_3498.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_3504.jpg
    IMG_3504.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_3502.jpg
    IMG_3502.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_3500.jpg
    IMG_3500.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3499.jpg
    IMG_3499.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_3507.jpg
    IMG_3507.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
I have a sad for that part of the tile for sure. It looks like you got the C game of tilers on that spot :( I would not accept it. Tell them they can do better and if they cannot they need to get a crew of tilers that can.

I want to show you how good a tile job CAN be if they have skills!

Make sure your glass tile is the kind that has a backing to protect it from heat. Our glass tile has been ruined, and our pool is only 5 years old. The sun heats it up during the day and then the water splashing on it being a cooler temperature causes it to crack. There is a glass tile that has been improved with this new backing. I don't recall the brand, but you can find information on what I am talking about on a quick internet search. So my only advice is.... do not go cheap on the glass tile, make sure to get the good stuff. Hope this helps.

Make sure your glass tile is the kind that has a backing to protect it from heat. Our glass tile has been ruined, and our pool is only 5 years old. The sun heats it up during the day and then the water splashing on it being a cooler temperature causes it to crack. There is a glass tile that has been improved with this new backing. I don't recall the brand, but you can find information on what I am talking about on a quick internet search. So my only advice is.... do not go cheap on the glass tile, make sure to get the good stuff. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the heads up. We bought the tile from a pool tile vendor and it wasn’t cheap. Lol I will look into that though.

Finally got the decking poured and the equipment set. Please take a look at the equipment setup and let me know if you see anything concerning. There is an inline chlorinator there now because they want to use that for the first 30 days before adding salt. Being it's winter and only 30 days I assume the CYA shouldn't get too high during the first month.

Attachments

• IMG_3600.jpg
    IMG_3600.jpg
    483.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3601.jpg
    IMG_3601.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 65
Where are they going to install the SWCG? It appears to be on the bypass. There should be a check valve between the chlorinator (puck thing) and heater. Unless you are absolutely sure you will always have the heater bypassed when pucks are in the thing.

Your PB is screwing with you. There was no reason to install an inline chlorinator to use for the first 30 days. A floater could easily be used for pucks when necessary. And he provided no space to install a SWG.

In addition having two valves to turn for the heater bypass makes it error prone and easily to misset one valve and damage your equipment if you mispositioned them. Described in this wiki is how a heater bypass is done with one 3 way valve and a check valve.

I would tell him to redo the plumbing between the filter and the return, remove the chlorinator, use a simplier one valve heater bypass, and give you a straight run after the heater where a SWG can be installed.

Where are they going to install the SWCG? It appears to be on the bypass. There should be a check valve between the chlorinator (puck thing) and heater. Unless you are absolutely sure you will always have the heater bypassed when pucks are in the thing.
The SWG isn't installed yet. He is saying that the SWG will be installed later after the inital 30 days. I feel like that doesn't make any sense. Why not use a dummy cell and install it once the plaster is cured and salt is added?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.