New pool days before adding salt.

awpoll

Bronze Supporter
Jul 1, 2016
McDonough, Ga.
Here is my test data from yesterday and today. My testing has been done in the evenings. This morning I added 3 cups of Muriatic Acid. If I understand the pool math app correctly I need to lower my TA by lowering my PH to 7.0 and the aerating my pool. By adding 3 cups of MA this morning it dropped the TA by only 10 from 130 to 120. Pool math tells me to add 2 qts 3 cups now. Can someone confirm that I’m on the. Tore the path?
I forgot to mention that this is day 26 after filling pool. I’ll be putting in salt this weekend. Any recommendations on how many bags to buy?

Pool testing 5/4
PH 7.8
Cl 1
Br 2
FC 2.5 PPM
CC 1 PPM
TC 3.5 PPM
Ca Hardness 250 PPM
TA 130
CYA 50

Pool testing 5/5
PH 7.5
Cl 1
Br 2
FC didn’t test
CC didn’t test
TC didn’t test
Ca Hardness didn’t test
TA 120
CYA didn’t test

Last edited:
It will take time but there’s no reason to rush it unless your CSI is high. It will mean your pH rises quicker, but it will come down over time as you add acid to combat the pH rise. No reason to push it low.

For salt - depends on the salinity your SWG requires. Does it say what you need?

It will take time but there’s no reason to rush it unless your CSI is high. It will mean your pH rises quicker, but it will come down over time as you add acid to combat the pH rise. No reason to push it low.

For salt - depends on the salinity your SWG requires. Does it say what you need?
I’m really not sure if my SWG is active. I’ll have to look tomorrow to see if it’s “active”. I think my PB told me he left it off so I wouldn’t get alarms.

You need more chlorine. 1 FC is too low for 50 CYA. You do not want algae to get a toehold.

Unless your builder has specified a TA level for warranty, don't sweat it. TA is mostly useful to calculate acid doses and CSI. You've got a handle on pH and you're a long way from scale formation. By itself, it's harmless. Baking Soda raises TA, and people brush their teeth with it! But I digress.

You've got fresh plaster and soon you'll be running a SWG, so you'll be fighting pH rise for a while. Lowering TA to some "ideal" range now isn't going to save you anything in the long run. Concentrate on pH and TA will take care of itself.

For salt, you need to know what your particular SWG demands. And even though you may not have added any yet, doesn't mean there won't be any salt in the water already. Tap water can have some, which increases with evaporation, and when bleach gets used up a byproduct is salt. So test it. Then use poolmath to calculate the salt. Aim low. If there's any doubt about the actual volume of the pool, aim even lower. It's easy enough to dump another bag in, but had to remove excess.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.