New pool construction - Time lapse settings

alex800

Oct 9, 2018
Stuart/FL
I'm trying to set up a new camera to record a time-lapse video of the new pool construction. What would be a recommended frame interval? I was thinking about 10 - 15 seconds interval would generate and about 2 - 3 minutes video per day. Any thoughts?

String2005

Gold Supporter
Mar 27, 2020
Granbury, Texas
I have mine set to take a photo every 5 minutes through the whole project but I haven't checked it lately and since the project is taking longer than anticipated, I hope it is still recording. We did this while building our house and it was really fun to see the final video. :)

TimZ

Apr 30, 2020
Southeastern PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
We're under construction now and I've been taking them with 1 hour of real time = 1 minute of video. I guess at 30 fps that's a frame every 2 seconds. Works well, although a longer interval would have been fine also.

Sotex

Gold Supporter
May 11, 2020
San Antonio, TX
Controlling our GoPro via iPhone I set it for a pic every minute. Link of one of the stages in my signature. A few other stages on my YouTube channel.

alex800

Oct 9, 2018
Stuart/FL
So I guess I will stick with 15 seconds intervals (4 frames per minute) and then will speed up the video in the editor.

I'm using Synology Surveillance Station with Amcrest camera. Here are the settings.

TimeLapse Settings 1.jpg

TimeLapse Settings 2.jpg

steve_NY

May 22, 2020
Long Island, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
has anybody done this with an old iphone, and the time lapse feature? not sure how long battery will last. Seems like Brinno makes a camera that is designed for this, but I procrastinated, and its too late to order online. Having problems finding a local retailer who has in stock. Dig starts tomorrow!

Apsuhead

Bronze Supporter
Apr 27, 2020
Clarksville TN
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
I have used an iPhone to do this outside at school all day before. I just ran an extension cord out there and used the iphone power cord to make sure it didn't go dead.. Good luck! I was going to do this for my dig that started a few weeks ago, but my PB showed up 2 days early.

steve_NY

May 22, 2020
Long Island, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I have used an iPhone to do this outside at school all day before. I just ran an extension cord out there and used the iphone power cord to make sure it didn't go dead.. Good luck! I was going to do this for my dig that started a few weeks ago, but my PB showed up 2 days early.
Thanks. Any idea of how much memory it will take up on an iphone to film all day? Seems like there are no options to delay the speed of the time lapse. I will see if there are any apps I can find. Also, I am in negotiations with my teenage daughter about borrowing her GoPro. Kid drives a hard bargain!

Apsuhead

Bronze Supporter
Apr 27, 2020
Clarksville TN
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
If I remember correctly it didn't take as much memory as I thought it would. You might be able to adjust the quality of your camera settings.

I had my daughter set up my video camera when they came to install my fiberglass pool shell a few weeks ago. I just recorded it regular speed and sped it up to make a short time lapse.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

steve_NY

May 22, 2020
Long Island, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
iphone worked fine, used an extension cord and kept it plugged in. It created 3 videos between 20-45 seconds for the 6 hour dig.

Reactions: Apsuhead

cowboycasey

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 3, 2013
Southern OK
Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.