New pool cleaning system

Personally I believe there is no better way to circulate and heat a pool than a infloor system. That being said, most pool owners are led to believe that they will never have to clean the pool with these systems. Make sure your builder is certified by A&A so if you decide to go with the system then it will be spec'd out and warrantied by the Manufacturer.

It depends. Is it a sports pool, or does it have a deep well? There are three pools on my block that have an A&A in floor cleaning system. Two of the three work great, the other - not so much. The difference is the ones that work have a deep well. The one that doesn’t is a sports pool with a 3.5/5/4 foot depth. With a relatively flat bottom, the dirt and debris just blows around, and if it gets to the drain, it’s just by accident. Where in a deep well, the cleaning heads put the debris in suspension and gravity leads it to the deep well and the drain. So if you have a deep well, it may work okay, if not save your money.

There is also the issue of the costs. For most pools you are talking around $5k or more. For less than $1k you can buy a top notch, state of the art robot.
Speaking as the one on the block with the sports pool, (where my in floor doesn’t clean well), I just bought a robot. Uses way less power and cleans much faster and more effective than any in floor system. The robot scrubs the bottom, the walls and even the water line in two hours. However there is still the issue of putting it in and taking it out of the pool. If I had it to do over, I obviously wouldn’t have put an in floor system in my pool, but both my neighbors may feel differently.

If the pool does not have a deep well, it won’t work well. The way infloor systems work is just by randomly blowing things around until they land in the drain. So take a hard look at the pool profile and think carefully before investing in an in floor system. I have one, but have to use a robot to clean the pool.

I have a different opinion on the in floor systems with smaller pools. I have an older A&A system in my old house that is now a rental. It's a smaller play pool with all desert landscaping in the backyard. It does just fine cleaning the dust off the floor, which is 99% of what that pool needs.

Now my new house, I've decided to get rid of the in floor system while doing my remodel. It's an older caretaker system but the main issue is my backyard has a lot of citrus trees that have heavier leaves that sink to the bottom. The in floor system just pushes it around so there's always the need to either vacuum or use the skimmer net to get everything off the bottom.

My in-laws have a new A&A system with a deep well where all the dirt gets pushed to the drain. There system seems to work very well.

Just my 2 cents on different pools.

The way infloor systems work is just by randomly blowing things around until they land in the drain.

I'd just like to slightly disagree with the use of "randomly", although I get a little hyperbole when the floor "cleaner" doesn't clean!

If it was random, I'm not sure my sports pool Caretaker system would create the exact same 2-3 piles of dirt/pollen every time. There is a pattern that I believe is created by pop-ups not quite working in synch and/or not blowing as far as the nozzles are spec'd. At least, that is my current theory as I continue to fine-tune.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.